What's new

[Thread-1] [ 386.1_Alpha Build(s) ] Testing available build(s)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Glad I wasn‘t first out of the blocks this time. Installed 386.1 A2 over 384.19, and not even WiFi is coming up on my AX88U. Cycled power twice, no difference. Time for the Reset button.

EDIT:

Both WiFi LEDs are on, but no SSIDs detectable. Even the RESET Button has no effect. Going to go for Hard Factory Reset (WPS)

UPDATE: All good now - but that tip about having to manually enter the MTU in the WAN settings is a life-saver!

Astrill VPN Applet also working - fastest VPN performance I’ve ever had.

Last edited:
5300 will not work at all on this alpha for ai-mesh it seems. My main ac88 sees it, but will not detect it as a mesh node no matter what I do. That included full reset on both multiple times. manually setting it to a mesh node and a couple other combos. Hardwire and WPS connect didn't work. I can ping router but will not be detected as a mesh node. Despite me being able to ping it, when I try to access web gui or ssh, it will not load if in mesh node mode.

Going to go back to last 384.19 on 5300 to test and see if that will work with newest alpha2 on ac88 and report back.
Did you factory reset the RT5300? I have two 5300's and not sure if I should give this

WAN connection continually drops and UI unstable. Back to 19 for now. Looking forward to beta!

I am using an ATT modem in "not quite bridge mode" where it passes its IP address to the router. Connection is excellent under 19.

Problem with PIA VPN client wanting cipher added:

Code:
Nov  3 18:46:58 ovpn-client1[6325]: --cipher is not set. Previous OpenVPN version defaulted to BF-CBC as fallback when cipher negotiation failed in this case. If you need this fallback please add '--data-ciphers-fallback BF-CBC' to your configuration and/or add BF-CBC to --data-ciphers.
Nov  3 18:46:58 ovpn-client1[6325]: OpenVPN 2.5.0 arm-unknown-linux-gnu [SSL (OpenSSL)] [LZO] [LZ4] [EPOLL] [MH/PKTINFO] [AEAD] built on Nov  2 2020

I’ve noticed this on my rt-ax88u’s openvpn server config. I’m able to use my clients to connect so I’m not sure this is anything more than and a display bug but wanted to report it.

Attachments

• 015A3A83-CDCA-4EB9-9D80-9597F311B536.png
    015A3A83-CDCA-4EB9-9D80-9597F311B536.png
    142.7 KB · Views: 198
Just flashed 386.1 A2. Formatting the JFFS partition does not work always comes back unmounted with blinking ! mark. Factory reset fixes the issue and JFFS is mounted again. Also noticed the WAN MTU needs to be set manually is this by design or possibly because i set up the router with no internet connection ?
det721,
Now that you mentioned WAN MTU, yes, I can confirm having the same issue, I simply set it to 1500 (I track all my prior NVRAM settings, where my WAN MTU was 1500)

Only Issue I’ve encountered on an RT-AC88U on this release is that the network map shows only shows the wired tab on the client status area of the front page which appears to be an odd mix of a few wired and wireless clients, the wireless tab is missing and I’m only seeing 7 of the 50 or so wired and wireless clients connected
This is the exact same thing I encountered on the ac5300

det721,
Now that you mentioned WAN MTU, yes, I can confirm having the same issue, I simply set it to 1500 (I track all my prior NVRAM settings, where my WAN MTU was 1500)

Yes. This happened to me as well on my rt-ax88u. I didn’t get an error until I tried to save edits to the wan settings page.

i can tell you there are similar Wan issues on other AX models. I resolved mine through isp reprovisioning of the modem. A DHCP connection failure occurs when adjusting settings on the router such as wireless, guest network, or vpn. The internet connection become intermittent at this point.

Totally different. WAN port does not function at all with my build, no traffic is sent or received on that Ethernet port, while it works correctly with the stock firmware. Asus confirmed my findings and they are investigating.

Tell PIA to update their server setups. --ciphers is deprecated in 2.5.0, and since 2.4.0 they should have been using --ncp-ciphers instead, so they should have fixed that months ago. Other providers are working fine so far.

As a workaround, add the cipher manually to the Custom Settings field.

Did you factory reset the RT5300? I have two 5300's and not sure if I should give this

If you read my post above - I tried everything I could think of - and could not get the AC5300 back as an AiMesh NODE to my RT-AC86U [which worked fully fine on 386.1.A2].
Factory resets under 386 - no joy - back revved to 384.19 on AC5300 only, with RT-AC86U still on 386.1-A2 ... no joy. Had to go back to 394.19.0 on both RT-AC86U and RT-AC5300 to get working AiMesh system.
Incidentally - I could get the RT-AC5300 working on 386.1.A2 as an AP - but not AiMesh Node.

If you have the time - give it a whirl ... but back up everything first ;).

Hi,

I'd like to test this alpha build on my AC88U
but I also have a Lyra mini which does not have a 386 version firmware available.
So it does not support Aimesh 2.0
What happens to non-Aimesh2 devices with Aimesh 2.0 on main router ?

Shall I still be able to use it as Aimesh node ?

The RT-AC68U only has 64K of nvram. You are getting the notification because you have less than 3 KB of nvram available.

I have done a reset and reconfigure all settings and The problem was that I had too many vpn certificate certificates saved
When reconfigure I have : NVRAM usage 58982 / 65536 bytes 6554 bytes left.

Hi,

I'd like to test this alpha build on my AC88U
but I also have a Lyra mini which does not have a 386 version firmware available.
So it does not support Aimesh 2.0
What happens to non-Aimesh2 devices with Aimesh 2.0 on main router ?

Shall I still be able to use it as Aimesh node ?

With the alpha firmware on my ac88, I could not get my ac5300 or ac68 to connect while on 384.19 as mesh nodes. I imagine they all have to be on the Mesh 2.0 firmware but due to the current issues, it is not working yet. Merlin will figure it out :)

Code:
Nov  3 18:46:58 ovpn-client1[6325]: --cipher is not set. Previous OpenVPN version defaulted to BF-CBC as fallback when cipher negotiation failed in this case. If you need this fallback please add '--data-ciphers-fallback BF-CBC' to your configuration and/or add BF-CBC to --data-ciphers.
Nov  3 18:46:58 ovpn-client1[6325]: OpenVPN 2.5.0 arm-unknown-linux-gnu [SSL (OpenSSL)] [LZO] [LZ4] [EPOLL] [MH/PKTINFO] [AEAD] built on Nov  2 2020
Tell PIA to update their server setups. --ciphers is deprecated in 2.5.0, and since 2.4.0 they should have been using --ncp-ciphers instead, so they should have fixed that months ago. Other providers are working fine so far.
As a workaround, add the cipher manually to the Custom Settings field.
I have opened a ticket with pia regarding the problem, they are working on it :)

Edit: PIA now supports OpenVPN 2.5 when using the ovpn-config-generator

Last edited:
Small note on the RT86U with this A2. When I change some policy based routing devices om some of the VPN client, I will loose the WAN connection. (disconnected) A simple click on apply on the WAN page will establish the connection again. But then both CPU's going in to panic. A simple reboot with the button on top brings me to the familiar problem (sometimes) waiting on NTP to sync but it doesn't. So when I reboot again (button) the 86 will run normal.

Code:
Nov  4 21:42:38 ovpn-client2[7880]: Initialization Sequence Completed
Nov  4 21:42:52 WAN_Connection: ISP's DHCP did not function properly.
Nov  4 21:42:52 DualWAN: skip single wan wan_led_control - WANRED off
Nov  4 21:42:57 ovpn-client3[25605]: read TCP_CLIENT: Connection timed out (code=110)
Nov  4 21:42:57 ovpn-client3[25605]: Connection reset, restarting [0]
Nov  4 21:42:57 ovpn-client3[25605]: SIGUSR1[soft,connection-reset] received, process restarting
Nov  4 21:42:57 ovpn-client3[25605]: Restart pause, 5 second(s)

With the alpha firmware on my ac88, I could not get my ac5300 or ac68 to connect while on 384.19 as mesh nodes. I imagine they all have to be on the Mesh 2.0 firmware but due to the current issues, it is not working yet. Merlin will figure it out :)

so if I move to 386 fw, I won'T be able to use non-Aimesh2.0 nodes. That means my Lyra mini will be out of service...
if they all need to be on Aimesh2.0 fw , how can Merlin figure it out ? :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!