What's new

[Thread-1] [ 386.1_Alpha Build(s) ] Testing available build(s)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
After RT-AC86U upgrade from alpha3-g874b3ed69d to alpha3-g88808c14f7 both processor cores usage is oscilating between 20% to 100% and RAM about 95%. When I go back to alpha3-g874b3ed69d, all the values fall down to normal. Checked twice with the same result, then I went back to alpha3-g874b3ed69d. Anyone else with the same experience?
Did another dirty upgrade from alpha 3 to "alpha 3.1" with no issues. Both CPU's running "normal" for me.

Gentlemen,

After years of deliberations the FCC last week adopted new rules for the 5.9 GHz (5.850-5.925 GHz) band, which for 20 years has been left largely unused by its previous occupant, the automotive industry (for DSRC). The lower 45 MHz of spectrum will now be reallocated to Wi-Fi, which means that for the first time a non-DFS 160 MHz Wi-Fi channel will be available in the 5 GHz band.

Will 386.1 firmware support the new channels just released by the FCC? I’m so sick of dealing with radar when on 160 MHz.

Will 386.1 firmware support the new channels just released by the FCC? I’m so sick of dealing with radar when on 160 MHz.

Nope no router that is out right now will get the new channels. This would require the routers be recertified by the FCC. Time consuming and expensive for Asus not gonna happen.

I got some strange issues with alpha 3 and 40996. I usually stream TuneIn/Spotify on my Google Home speakers, but with beta 3 it only works 10-60 minutes before it all suddenly stops playing with no reason. No such issues at all with Alpha 2. Can't see anything blocked or errors in the systemlog, SkyNet or NextDNS when it happens. Also one time when I was in the GUI, I suddenly got thrown out to the login page when I was active.

I found that the CPU working more active in alpha 3 and I tried to catch some snapshots of processes using the "top" command, if that can be a clue:
  • 28.7% avahi-daemon: running [RT-AC86U.local]
  • 22.5% httpd -i br0
  • 12.2% cfg_server
  • 14.8% watchdog
Dirty upgrades from 384.19, so maybe time for a factory reset?!

Alpha 2:
firefox_a4CLRFk12w.png

Alpha 3:
firefox_9uY04YWelM.png

Anyone else having issues with the RT-3100 model with the new firmware? 68U and 88AX were fine with the new build. I could not get the RT-3100 back online even after factory reset and had to do a firmware recovery and go back to the previous alpha 3.

I just updated my ac86u with the newest alpha 3 dated 11-22 along with my ac3100. I'm running Aimesh with a wireless backhaul. The 86u is the router. I tried to add the ac3100 as the node after the update and it couldn't be found even though I brought it within 10 ft of the ac86u. I did a factory reset on both routers. I then downgraded the firmware on the node to the previous alpha3 version dated 11-14-20 and it was found immediately. Waiting to see if there are any problems.

I just updated my ac86u with the newest alpha 3 dated 11-22 along with my ac3100. I'm running Aimesh with a wireless backhaul. The 86u is the router. I tried to add the ac3100 as the node after the update and it couldn't be found even though I brought it within 10 ft of the ac86u. I then downgraded the firmware on the node to the previous alpha3 version dated 11-14-20 and it was found immediately. Waiting to see if there are any problems.

I had the same issue myself. Upgrade the firmware on the 3100 and it lost the node, had to downgrade the firmware back the previous alpha 3 and it was fine after that.

I just updated my ac86u with the newest alpha 3 dated 11-22 along with my ac3100. I'm running Aimesh with a wireless backhaul. The 86u is the router. I tried to add the ac3100 as the node after the update and it couldn't be found even though I brought it within 10 ft of the ac86u. I did a factory reset on both routers. I then downgraded the firmware on the node to the previous alpha3 version dated 11-14-20 and it was found immediately. Waiting to see if there are any problems.

Also 71% of the RAM is being used. Not sure if that's a problem or not but never seen that much usage.

When I flashed after ejecting USB it failed to update, flashed with USB in place and it worked....opposite of what I'm used to. Or should I just leave USB in always?

Another addition to the 386.1 lineup:

View attachment 27834

This one is made possible (with a few caveats) thanks to Asus's contributions.

• Asus took care of making the non-ROG webui work with it (a few ROG-specific features are currently missing, some may be added by them at a later time). This way I won't need to handle two separate set of webpages (which was one of the blockers against GT support)
  • Asus also took care of merging the GeForce Now code into miniupnpd (and updating their own miniupnpd to be now in sync with mine)
  • As you can see, the UI will NOT be the ROG one. That means some of the UI "enhancements" are missing, like the constant latency monitor and such. Personally I consider this an improvement - not a big fan of that dark red UI...
  • VPN Fusion is NOT supported. First reason being their code ties into Asus's closed source OpenVPN code, and also because it would conflict with Asuswrt-Merlin's Policy Routing.

This will serve as an experiment to see if through closer collaboration with Asus it may become possible to start supporting GT models in the future. The GT-AC2900 was picked as a proof-of-concept because I already had one in hands. Please, no model support requests. This is still an experiment, and I will base any future decision on how well this test works out.
They may have alot of these in the warehouse and this is one way to move some. Don't think those flashing lights and higher price made it sell so well over an AC86. It does add 160 support, but only as 2x2 I believe.

@RMerlin so if iam not mistaking the 86u and the gt-ac2900 are same products with different software right?

They're very similar, yes. Main differences are the RGB lighting, the ROG suite of features (most of which I don't support), and the fact the base can be mounted to let the router either be flat/wall mounted or standing.

I haven't used AiMesh v1 - the whole reason for me to experiment with alpha releases is because of AiMesh 2.0 and extending guest networks. Just reporting my experience and referencing other posts in this thread that had noted possible issues with managed switches.

Thanks for your reply! That is what I figured but wanted to make sure.

After RT-AC86U upgrade from alpha3-g874b3ed69d to alpha3-g88808c14f7 both processor cores usage is oscillating between 20% to 100% and RAM about 95%. When I go back to alpha3-g874b3ed69d, all the values fall down to normal. Checked twice with the same result, then I went back to alpha3-g874b3ed69d. Anyone else with the same experience?
I can confirm the exact same behavior after dirty upgrade to alpha3-g88808c14f7. Did a little experimenting it appears to be if you have a drives mounted. When I removed both drives, CPU usage seemed normal. When either jump drive with scripts or HD for backups mounted, CPU's alternately oscillate to 100%. I have also gone back to alpha3-g874b3ed69d which provides normal CPU usage when drives are mounted.

Router is RT-AC86U, node is RT-AC68U, left node on alpha3-g88808c14f7. Wonder if it's CPU is oscillating? Is there a way to find out?

Last edited:
Spoke too soon earlier. System log still getting spammed every 30 seconds using Alpha-3.

Code:
Nov 16 11:42:55 RT-AC88U-8248 rc_service: watchdog 439:notify_rc start_cfgsync
Nov 16 11:42:55 RT-AC88U-8248 custom_script: Running /jffs/scripts/service-event (args: start cfgsync)
Nov 16 11:43:25 RT-AC88U-8248 rc_service: watchdog 439:notify_rc start_cfgsync
Nov 16 11:43:25 RT-AC88U-8248 custom_script: Running /jffs/scripts/service-event (args: start cfgsync)
Nov 16 11:43:55 RT-AC88U-8248 rc_service: watchdog 439:notify_rc start_cfgsync
<snip>
my logs are filled with this as well everything is working though just using as a plain router no usb no scipts
Nov 22 07:45:22 rc_service: watchdog 553:notify_rc start_cfgsync

Also 71% of the RAM is being used. Not sure if that's a problem or not but never seen that much usage.

Nevermind. I read. Normal to the model.

Upgraded ac-88, ac-68 and ac-5300 to the latest alpha 3 and still had the issue with AiMesh nodes not being able to connect. At one point, the ac-88 as my main said it detected a node at ip 0.0.0.0.0 with mac 0000000000000, but could not get anything resolved with the normal troubleshooting steps beyond that.

I changed the ac-68 and ac-5300 nodes to the latest official asus beta with Aimesh 2.0 and both nodes connected to the main ac-88 without any problems and everything seems to be working great so far.

Map looks fine, enable backhaul worked fine. Ram and cpu at normal levels so far. If anything pops up, I will report back.

Thanks again Merlin! I can't wait to get those nodes on your firmware too!

Nope no router that is out right now will get the new channels. This would require the routers be recertified by the FCC. Time consuming and expensive for Asus not gonna happen.

The FCC has said that the channels can be used for indoor low power operations “immediately.” And the new channels are not subject to DFS requirements. so why is there a need for recertification?

the order is located here: here:https://docs.fcc.gov/public/attachments/FCC-20-164A1.pdf

From Para 22: “We expect the benefits arising from this reallocation of the lower band will be available to American consumers shortly after the rules in this proceeding become effective. Comcast submits that, because of its proximity to the U-NII-3 band, only software or firmware upgrades to much of the Wi-Fi equipment already deployed and operating are needed to allow consumers to access the 5.9 GHz spectrum, a benefit that would not be possible in any other band. ...”

The FCC goes on to say in Para 22: “Under the Commission’s equipment authorization rules and policies, a change to an approved device to add a new frequency band subject to new technical requirements is permitted as a Class II permissive change for a device not approved as a Software Defined Radio, as long as such changes are performed by software and do not require any hardware changes. We anticipate that many Wi-Fi access points currently operating using U-NII-3 spectrum, in addition to being capable of software upgrades, will be able to meet the requirements we adopt for indoor-only devices.”

Sounds to me like Asus could push an update quickly if it wanted to. But I admit, I don’t know the process for doing so.

I’m still seeing the log getting (every few seconds) absolutely smashed with messages like this:

Nov 23 08:09:02 kernel: protocol 86dd is buggy, dev eth7
Nov 23 08:09:10 kernel: protocol 0800 is buggy, dev eth7

(I have a guest network enabled, if that matters...)

However, aside from that, everything appears to be working as advertised, the log entries don’t seem to be significant.

I’m still seeing the log getting (every few seconds) absolutely smashed with messages like this:

Nov 23 08:09:02 kernel: protocol 86dd is buggy, dev eth7
Nov 23 08:09:10 kernel: protocol 0800 is buggy, dev eth7

(I have a guest network enabled, if that matters...)

However, aside from that, everything appears to be working as advertised, the log entries don’t seem to be significant.
I don't get this error on mine.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!

Members online