What's new

TP-Link EAP225v3 AC1350 Wireless MU-MIMO Gigabit Ceiling Mount Access Point Reviewed

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Why does the link for "baltic" show the newer 245 and the "us" shows the older version? Is the newer version available yet? I can't find it for sale anywhere.

[Edit]: Having re-read the thread more carefully, I see this is available in Europe but seemingly not in the US. I don't suppose anyone has any idea when/if the updated 245 will be released in the US for sale?

Last edited:
FYI - in case anyone else cares, a rep on the TP-Link forum told me that the EAP245v3 will be available in the US in late March.

FYI - in case anyone else cares, a rep on the TP-Link forum told me that the EAP245v3 will be available in the US in late March.

Thanks for checking. It's been hard not to bite on the all the 225 deals, but I have a few 3x3 devices, so I really wanted to wait. Now depending on the price, I will need to decide if I should skip a generation and move to ax.

I'm in the same boat. There isn't very much in the FCC pipeline for an AP with ax support though so I expect it will be a lot closer to 2020 before anything is available.

The difference between EAP225_V3 and EAP245_v3 is 20 buck, is worth? I´m planning to get 2 units in the office.

The difference between EAP225_V3 and EAP245_v3 is 20 buck, is worth? I´m planning to get 2 units in the office.

I have both. I feel like the 245v3 has a bit more range than the 225v3. I'm returning my 225s and getting 245s

Hi, I plan to use this AP as a secondary wifi at my office with 4 units of it which cover the whole office floor. ATM, we have our existing wifi at our office which using ruckus R700 AP. My concern is that the interference from it. It is suitable for me to set this up? Is there any way from me to setup the new wifi and reduce the existing wifi interference? because the new wifi is gonna use 800Mbps Internet speed.

Does anyone have experience with the 2nd ethernet port on EAP245v3?

If I use this as a bridge to my downstream network am I asking for lower performance compared to a basic switch like TL-SG10005P or GS105PE?

Also, am I missing something or did TP-Link forget to write a manual for the actual router? All I see on their support page speaks to the Omada software.

If I use this as a bridge to my downstream network

As per TP-Link, the ETH2 port is for bridging. Not sure what exactly they intend to bridge there, but I don't think ETH2 has PoE pass-through, so it can't be a second EAP245. Very little documentation about ETH2, I may have to try to connect the second EAP245 there and see what happens. In theory, for devices not needing PoE, should be fine. The bandwidth on ETH1 will be shared between the AP and ETH2 though, no doubt about it.

Also, am I missing something or did TP-Link forget to write a manual for the actual router?

What router? Omada software (runs on a PC) of OC200 hardware (the hardware controller) are AP controllers only. The router is whatever you use as a router. In my case it's a pfSense computer. Or... did I understand your question right?

Thanks Val. I hadn’t thought about the shared bandwidth till you pointed that out.

With free returns I decided to just order one and sort it out. In the end I tried both models and determined I can span the entire house with one EAP225. The EAP225 lists more antenna gain on both bands and I don’t need the faster 5Ghz speed of the EAP245 so I will be returning it. With the unit mounted to the ceiling of a central first floor room the 2.4Ghz band penetrates with almost no signal loss into every corner of the house including downstairs to the basement. The 5 GHz band drops off more as expected.

Originally I was using the bridge port on the 245 to save $$ on another switch. But ultimately I replaced my 50ft cable with a 75ft run and now I don’t need the bridge feature.

That last question I was asking about a manual for the EAP245. (Mixed up WAP and router). I couldn’t find the manual online.

The EAP225 lists more antenna gain on both bands...

Only on 5GHz, but look at the transmission power:

https://www.tp-link.com/us/business-networking/ceiling-mount-access-point/eap225/#specifications

2.4GHz: 4dBi x 3
5GHz: 5dBi x 2

≤24dBm(2.4GHz)
≤22dBm(5GHz)

https://www.tp-link.com/us/business-networking/ceiling-mount-access-point/eap245/#specifications

2.4GHz: 3 × 4dBi
5GHz: 3 × 4dBi

≤25dBm(2.4GHz)
≤27dBm(5GHz)

I believe EAP245 is a better option. If EAP225 covers the house well, EAP245 should be at least the same or better.

Only on 5GHz, but look at the transmission power:

https://www.tp-link.com/us/business-networking/ceiling-mount-access-point/eap225/#specifications

2.4GHz: 4dBi x 3
5GHz: 5dBi x 2

≤24dBm(2.4GHz)
≤22dBm(5GHz)

https://www.tp-link.com/us/business-networking/ceiling-mount-access-point/eap245/#specifications

2.4GHz: 3 × 4dBi
5GHz: 3 × 4dBi

≤25dBm(2.4GHz)
≤27dBm(5GHz)

I believe EAP245 is a better option. If EAP225 covers the house well, EAP245 should be at least the same or better.

I was focused on dBi per antenna and not multiplying for 3 vs 2 antenna. Thanks for pointing out the error.

Now I’m facing a less technical hurdle. My spouse doesn’t want the “ugly” device on the ceiling of the living room. “Why don’t you just set it on that bookshelf?”

“Why don’t you just set it on that bookshelf?”

This is a serious life threatening event. Do what she says, the signal pattern is almost omni directional. The green light on those is a bit too bright for home setup.

Shelf worked just fine. A bit more 5G drop off in the corners of the basement but my 20 yr anniversary is coming up so who cares.

I have not tested band steering yet.

Did notice an option to turn off the green LED.

There is, but I don't want to turn it OFF, I want it dimmer. And I know how it will become dimmer very soon.

I got this one because my OnHub made by Tp-link for Google will not work at all...I didn't see Tim review on this device here. I had build a AP Stand and attached this AP on it I get -40 dbi but after the the lastest firmware it's -48 dbm for 2.4GHz and 5GHz 43 dbm. Firmware removed the word High for both 2/5 Ghz now it has max 22/24. I guess this is the tweets the can do. At least it's business class AP I should have compared it to my old CISCO router tuned into AP. EA4500.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!