1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice

Welcome To SNBForums

SNBForums is a community for anyone who wants to learn about or discuss the latest in wireless routers, network storage and the ins and outs of building and maintaining a small network.

If you'd like to post a question, simply register and have at it!

While you're at it, please check out SmallNetBuilder for product reviews and our famous Router Charts, Ranker and plenty more!

TP-Link Releases First Wireless AD7200 Router

Discussion in 'General Wireless Discussion' started by Julio Urquidi, May 18, 2016.

1. Julio Urquidi

Julio Urquidi News Editor

Updated - TP-LINK today announced its Talon AD7200 Multi-Band Wi-Fi Router is now available. The product was announced at CES 2016.

TPLinkTalonAD7200Angle.jpg

The Talon AD7200 is a 4x4 Qualcomm-based MU-MIMO enabled AC2600 class router with an integrated single-stream 802.11ad radio supporting a 4600 Mbps maximum link rate. The 4x4 2.4 and 5 GHz radios support maximum link rates of 800 Mbps and 1733 Mbps, respectively. MU-MIMO is also supported on the 5 GHz radio.

Hardware specs include a 1.4 GHz dual-core processor, eight high-gain antennas, five Gigabit Ethernet ports (1 WAN, and 4 LAN) and two USB 3.0 ports supporting printer and storage sharing. TP-LINK says Smart Connect automatic band steering will be supported for the Wi-Fi radios in a future firmware update.

TPLinkTalonAD7200Back.jpg

Other features include Guest Networks (2.4 and 5 GHz only), PPTP and OpenVPN, IPv6 support and parental controls.

Once again, routers are running ahead of devices that can take advantage of their advertised highest speeds. 802.11ad device volume to date has been driven by Dell Ultrabooks and high-performance Dell mobile workstations and the D5000 Wireless Dock, which don't require 802.11d in a router. [​IMG]CNX-Software reported in March that a Chinese smartphone from LeEcho and that Acer and Asus are working on 802.11ad notebooks.

Update: A TP-LINK spokesperson let us know several Acer TravelMate P446 series laptops currently support AD technology.

The Talon AD7200 has an MSRP of $349.99 and is available now on Newegg.com, and in Fry’s and Microcenter stores.

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2016
  2. Kal-EL

Kal-EL Very Senior Member

Interesting but WAY over priced. :eek:

Blind_Bandit likes this.
  3. pete y testing

pete y testing Very Senior Member

man 60ghz wifi / how far away from the router will it work

having read just a bit of this tech anyone want to explain why its needed for the average home user as the explanations even on Wikipedia overwhelm me lol

tbh i expected 900mhz wifi before this or was i just confused as always

pete

Blind_Bandit likes this.
  4. tsunami2311

tsunami2311 Senior Member

from what I read it has less range then 5ghz but is faster

5. Kal-EL

Much less range then 5 ghz and virtually can't penetrate much of anything. I think the only use of 60 ghz would be very close to the router in the same room. Not really worth anything in my opinion.

Blind_Bandit likes this.
  6. pete y testing

thats what im thinking , if it has to be that close why would you bother unless it doesnt have ethernet like smart home stuff

7. microchip

microchip Very Senior Member

Overpriced... all I have to say. I may be an enthusiast, but I'm not crazy yet to throw more than 300 bucks for a router, no matter how much it offers

8. thiggins

thiggins Mr. Easy Staff Member

60 GHz has always been regarded as primarily same-room / line-of-sight technology. It might reach through one wall, but at significantly reduced throughput.

At CES 2016, Qualcomm showed 11ad working across the span of their very large booth. But that was with much more advanced antenna arrays than you'll find in consumer products.

The primary applications will be cable-less very large file tranfers (4k photos, videos). Wi-Fi, even AC takes a long time to get media files on and off phones and tablets. There is also screen mirroring (Chromecast, etc.) without eating up Wi-Fi bandwidth.

900 MHz is long range, but much lower bit rate. So it's more interesting for Smart Home IoT applications, where it has to butt heads with Zigbee. Definitely not as sexy or saleable as those bigger numbers on the boxes!

9. Kal-EL

I don't really see a practical reason for 60 ghz. I doubt anybody will spend money for it or even consider it seriously. Just no bang for the buck. o_O

10. Razor512

Razor512 Senior Member

60 GHz might work for fast backups, e.g., if it can do full gigabit throughput within the room, then a user may be able to perform a fast incremental backup of a phone, tablet, laptop, or other device. I just wish they would have added at least 1 10GbE port.

Overall I want for there to be a simple and fast way for mobile devices to quickly perform automated backups asvsoon as you step into the room, and place the device on on the inductive charger.

11. L&LD

L&LD Part of the Furniture

Available now; buy it and get an instant $350 paper weight (locked firmware, no third party support at all, old bits and pieces of insecure code from a decade or more ago).

Whoever buys this is sure to get a rude awakening. :(

swetoast likes this.
  12. Razor512

Razor512 Senior Member

Any chance they will decide that the whole locking down of the firmware was a huge mistake, and decide to fix that huge issue?

There is a chance that they may have not realized that they locked the firmware down, or might not remember it, or thought that it only happened in a nightmare.

13. Kal-EL

Not much of a chance.. Remember 97.5 % of people who have a router has no idea what firmware is or even think about any upgrades. And then would have NO clue how to even do it. It's people like us that keep third party alive.

14. L&LD

L&LD Part of the Furniture

No. Just checked, I'm awake and not dreaming. This lock down happened.

15. pete y testing

its not in tp links buisness model to put much effort into after sales r and d , its far easier and cheaper just to lock it down

exactly to the majority this is no more than a storm in a tea cup

Last edited: May 19, 2016
  16. thiggins

thiggins Mr. Easy Staff Member

Stay on topic, please. There an other threads established where you can continue to rant about the new firmware rules.

17. sm00thpapa

sm00thpapa Very Senior Member

Over priced and only 4 ports.