What's new

Traffic Analyzer, Statistics usage question

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

RogerSC

Part of the Furniture
Looking at data traffic statistics earlier today, I was noticing a high internet data download period today. In about 2 hours, between 10AM and noon, my desktop computer downloaded about 300GB of data. The amount of upload that went with this was only about 1.9GB, which also was interesting. I'm mystified by this, it isn't on my computer or external disks, and I was doing very little if anything on my desktop computer this morning. I don't do streaming on my desktop computer, other than the odd youtube how-to video *smile*. Mostly working on some problems on a Chromecast with Google TV. Anyways, when I saw that I immediately rebooted my desktop, and also downloaded a virus/malware scanner that's still running a "deep scan".

To look into this, once I knew which client it was, I looked at the "apps" traffic. All the usual suspects were fine, it was nearly all in an apps category called "General". What I need is a breakdown of the apps that are in this General category. Is there any way of getting more granular app data usage, or should I be pursuing other avenues of tracking this down?

Curious if anyone else has faced this, and figured out how to get more in-depth data traffic information? I could log onto the router via ssh if I knew what I was looking for.

Thanks for any pointers.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!