What's new

Turn off IP check on user log in

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

primitivo

Is there any way to turn off IP check on user log in to router web interface (RT-AC56U in my case)?

If not, I would like to propose this as a feature request and there are multiple reasons behind it:

1. It is super annoying when you leave your PC logged in and then want to check something from other computer / mobile device for instance;

2. It is not possible to manage the router remotely via web interface for some ISPs which use transparent proxy, as the web interface won't load properly showing "You cannot log in unless another user logs out first" message for different iframes within the web interface :)

Asus didn't design the web server with multiple concurrent logins in mind. Disabling this safety would lead to a lot of other potential issues which I have no interest in tracking down, sorry.

Note that remote management should not be an issue. The router will "forget" any IP if there hasn't been any connection from that IP in the last minute or so. The only time this is an issue is if you keep a web browser open, as it will periodically talk with the router.

The problem with Asus is that the login to web interface is not a user login by any means. It is an IP login. The problem which I am describing refers to ISP that use transparent proxy, where each HTTP request might have different IP.

To give you a better idea see the print screens below:
oMC3Fu8.png

s4a5u6r.png

(which is not my REAL IP, but transparent proxy HTTP IP....)

This behaviour is due to iframe design of Asus web interface, it would not cause issues if there would not be frames inside.

That's why I think it doesn't work as intended, it is a bug. Asus should either disregard the IP user authorization per frame or make it a true user login solution. Also new log in should force to close the previous session instead of keeping it active.

Last edited:
For starter, I strongly recommend against opening your web interface to the WAN anyway. This is highly insecure, you should use a VPN or SSH tunnel to remotely access it.

For starter, I strongly recommend against opening your web interface to the WAN anyway. This is highly insecure, you should use a VPN or SSH tunnel to remotely access it.

But if I have VPN constantly running on the router (to route devices through VPN), is it possible to have another VPN instance running for remote access?