What's new

Ubiquiti EdgeRouter POE QOS Settings

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

I recently found out about Ubiquiti at a national trade show. I love their design, pricing, integration with other Ubiquiti products, and cool looking software. BUT... while I am sitting here trying to plan out a new project with 3 24-Port POE switches, 4 WAPs, and a Dual WAN router, I am loathe to find myself needing a quick question answered while attempting to implement my project with no one willing to answer the phone at Ubiquiti. I can't even ask a question via phone prior to purchase so I can't imagine my frustration while attempting to get past some odd installation issue after having spent several thousand dollars.

This is enough for me to not even consider them for myself or my customers.

Could be a business opportunity - just thinking out loud here...

Maybe for someone just starting out with more time than customers. ;)

Companies like the above are too applesque for my taste (take what we give you and don't ask for 'anything' else).

Maybe for someone just starting out with more time than customers. ;)

Companies like the above are too applesque for my taste (take what we give you and don't ask for 'anything' else).

But what if your customer asks specifically about Ubiquity HW - it's not bad - the problem for customers (and for the vendor) is the channel...

But what if your customer asks specifically about Ubiquity HW - it's not bad - the problem for customers (and for the vendor) is the channel...

None of my customers ask me about hardware. They ask me to fix or provide a solution to an issue or issues they see with their networks.

If Ubiquity is so out of touch they can't answer questions (pre-sale), they have lost touch with me and any customers I may have referred to their products.

In other words, I don't promise things I can't deliver on. I move forward from solid ground to solid ground.

It's about positioning - there is a segment of the market - and I would suggest this is the 200-500 seat sector in small to medium enterprises - they're too small to get the attention of a Cisco/Juniper/etc technical account manager, but they've outgrown the SOHO market.

It's a big sector actually - when you look at the bell curve, it's an underserved segment, and very dependent on outside experts to deliver solutions, as they typically won't have the IT staff to support them - I've got a couple of friends that have done very well as VAR's in that market...

I suppose that one of the challenges of being a consultant - it's not just the technical concerns, but the challenges of running a business, e.g. the consultancy itself - and there, it's really important to pick the customers, and the staff, and having the business sense not to price yourself out of business - customers have problems, that's why the reach out if they don't have the internal staff/expertise to provide the solution.

Business 101...

Its alright, mikrotik fits it better than ubiquiti does for routers as ubiquiti edgerouters have the restrictions and issues i mentioned earlier. For a UTM it is better to use pfsense or some other x86 OS rather than trying to use an edgerouter as one.

Think about it this way, when some config cant use NAT acceleration the customer wont be complaining about speeds.

Still other ubiquiti products sure fit in somewhere and their popular/well known products do get sold at some retail shops.

I think MicroTik probably fits best into that same segment as Ubiquity - they do leverage the power of VAR's...

This is enough for me to not even consider them for myself or my customers.

The primary support method for Ubiquiti hardware is their forums. Outside of that, there are Ubiquiti certified contractors on the forum who will fix your issues or travel to your location to install, configure or modify things for you, if you need them to. There's actually a thread dedicated to identifying those contractors on the forum.

The primary support method for Ubiquiti hardware is their forums. Outside of that, there are Ubiquiti certified contractors on the forum who will fix your issues or travel to your location to install, configure or modify things for you, if you need them to. There's actually a thread dedicated to identifying those contractors on the forum.

Sounds slow, laborious and expensive. No thanks.

@L&LD arent you supposed to be that expensive, laborious contractor?

Yes. But I'm not going to jump through hoops to get basic information about the hardware I may implement.

And to be truthful, I'm not that 'expensive' either (economy won't support it). ;)