What's new

Unexpected loss of connection to router - all clients

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

David Partridge

Occasional Visitor
Several times today, ALL the machines on my local network lost connection to the router (Xwrt-Vortex 380.66_2 on Netgear R7000). Where the machines have both wired and wireless interfaces, neither can communicate. I can only re-establish connections by power off/on the router. Is there a way to cause a reboot w/o power off so I don't loose syslog entries?

When the problem occurred, the LEDs on the router looked ALMOST just like they do when everything is working (Power and all three wireless LEDS on, WAN LED flashing very occasionally????, and the LAN LED flashing normally).

After power off/on of the router, I found nothing in syslog that suggested anything amiss. If anyone can suggest what information I can collect for debug and how to get it, I'm happy to provide it.

Should it be relevant I was overclocking the router at 1400,800, but I've now backed that off to 1300,800 in case overclocking was the cause of the problem. CPU temperature never exceeded 62C.

This is a newly acquired machine which was flashed with Xwrt-Vortex only 2 days ago.

Thanks
Dave

Asuswrt wasn't designed for that router model. You are using wireless driver that were finetuned specifically for whichever model Xvortex chose to base his build on (I assume it's the RT-AC68U drivers).

You will have to contact him regarding any issue.

I don't think that at this stage we can blame this on the wireless drivers :). I'm asking how best to determine the cause of the problem (lets assume for now that I'm NOT using a Netgear router). If the debugging points to XVortex's work, I'll happily go pester him ...

I don't think that at this stage we can blame this on the wireless drivers :). I'm asking how best to determine the cause of the problem (lets assume for now that I'm NOT using a Netgear router). If the debugging points to XVortex's work, I'll happily go pester him ...

Only he knows what changes he makes to the code, since he refuses to publish it.

Several times today, ALL the machines on my local network lost connection to the router (Xwrt-Vortex 380.66_2 on Netgear R7000). Where the machines have both wired and wireless interfaces, neither can communicate. I can only re-establish connections by power off/on the router. Is there a way to cause a reboot w/o power off so I don't loose syslog entries?

<snip>

This is a newly acquired machine which was flashed with Xwrt-Vortex only 2 days ago.

Please revert to Netgear's firmware, and check out the efforts over on their OpenRouter site - you'll be better supported there...

AsusWRT-RMerlin works well on the devices he supports - the R7000 is not one of them.

Yes, AsusWRT is GPL, so people can fork it, and do things to improve it... and Asus has been gracious enough to include all the bits and blobs to successfully build AsusWRT from their GPL drop - many vendors do not, withholding important stuff (vendor stuff) and only including their changes to the GPL code.

GPL works when people share back - it fails when they don't...

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!