What's new

unsupported NAT-PMP version

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

RdeN

Occasional Visitor
Hi,

I have a RT-N66U running 3.0.0.4.374.33_beta1. I see the following messages popping up. Btw, I saw it also appearing in the experimental Pixie Dust.

Any ideas what it might be and what setting I have to toggle to get rid of it.

Thanks,

Ramon

Sep 11 07:26:22 miniupnpd[402]: unsupported NAT-PMP version : 2
Sep 11 08:26:23 miniupnpd[402]: unsupported NAT-PMP version : 2
Sep 11 09:26:23 miniupnpd[402]: unsupported NAT-PMP version : 2
Sep 11 10:26:23 miniupnpd[402]: unsupported NAT-PMP version : 2
Sep 11 11:26:23 miniupnpd[402]: unsupported NAT-PMP version : 2
Sep 11 12:26:23 miniupnpd[402]: unsupported NAT-PMP version : 2
Sep 11 13:26:23 miniupnpd[402]: unsupported NAT-PMP version : 2
Sep 11 14:26:23 miniupnpd[402]: unsupported NAT-PMP version : 2
Sep 11 15:26:23 miniupnpd[402]: unsupported NAT-PMP version : 2
Sep 11 16:26:23 miniupnpd[402]: unsupported NAT-PMP version : 2
Sep 11 17:26:23 miniupnpd[402]: unsupported NAT-PMP version : 2
Sep 11 18:26:23 miniupnpd[402]: unsupported NAT-PMP version : 2
Sep 11 19:26:23 miniupnpd[402]: unsupported NAT-PMP version : 2
Sep 11 20:26:23 miniupnpd[402]: unsupported NAT-PMP version : 2
Sep 11 21:26:23 miniupnpd[402]: unsupported NAT-PMP version : 2
Sep 11 22:26:22 miniupnpd[402]: unsupported NAT-PMP version : 2
Sep 11 22:45:16 miniupnpd[402]: unsupported NAT-PMP version : 2

Hi,

I have a RT-N66U running 3.0.0.4.374.33_beta1. I see the following messages popping up. Btw, I saw it also appearing in the experimental Pixie Dust.

Any ideas what it might be and what setting I have to toggle to get rid of it.

Thanks,

Ramon

Sep 11 22:26:22 miniupnpd[402]: unsupported NAT-PMP version : 2
Sep 11 22:45:16 miniupnpd[402]: unsupported NAT-PMP version : 2

You have a device on your network that sends an invalid NAT-PMP packet, generating this error. A quick search seemed to reveal that the version field should normally be 0. You will have to figure out which device or software is sending those invalid requests.

Thanks Merlin.

I switched off about all services on my Netgear ReadyNAS device, and now the messages have gone. I don't which one was the culprit.

Thanks Merlin.

I switched off about all services on my Netgear ReadyNAS device, and now the messages have gone. I don't which one was the culprit.

Good chance it's one related to media sharing (ReadyDLNA or the Apple iTune server if it has one).

This message also occurs if you have the "Back to My Mac" feature in Mac OS turned on (assuming you have a Mac on your network) "Back to My Mac" allows you to remotely login to your Mac, as such it needs to open ports on the router for the feature to work (TCP port 5354 and UDP ports 4500 and 5353 specifically as mentioned in Apple's docs). What the Mac does is first try to use the PCP (Port Control Protocol) as defined in the draft RFC 6887 to try to open the ports. I assume Apple routers support PCP, but the Asus ones don't. PCP uses the same version negotiation scheme as the older NAT-PMP protocol, but with a version number of 2 (NAT-PMP used version number 0 as RMerlin mentions). As mentioned in the RFC,

http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc6887#page-87

the ASUS router does the right thing when it gets version 2 and returns "Unsupported version" (because it can't handle PCP) The Mac then backs up and uses NAT-PMP instead of PCP to open the required ports instead. If you look at the Port Forwarding tab on the ASUS, you'll see the ports that the Mac opened for "Back to My Mac".

I also verified that if I turned off "Back to My Mac", the "unsupported NAT-PMP version" messages went away.

What the Mac does is first try to use the PCP (Port Control Protocol) as defined in the draft RFC 6887 to try to open the ports. I assume Apple routers support PCP, but the Asus ones don't. PCP uses the same version negotiation scheme as the older NAT-PMP protocol, but with a version number of 2 (NAT-PMP used version number 0 as RMerlin mentions).

PCP was recently added to miniupnpd. I might look into merging it in the firmware and see if it actually works (I will have to find a Windows or Linux tool to test it however, don't think any of the software that I use supports PCP).

PCP was recently added to miniupnpd. I might look into merging it in the firmware and see if it actually works (I will have to find a Windows or Linux tool to test it however, don't think any of the software that I use supports PCP).

RMerlin, you might try

http://sourceforge.net/projects/pcptestingsuits/

appears to be a PCP testing tool from some engineers at France Telecom. It requires Apache + PHP, either on Windows or Linux.

PCP on Asuswrt-Merlin will have to wait for quite a while - too many things not working properly yet for it to be possible (IPv6 support fails to build, and the ARM platform lacks a working getifaddr() which is needed by miniupnpd's PCP peer support - trying to use the replacement code Asus uses elsewhere failed).

No problem RMerlin. I don't have a burning use case for it, mostly wanted to point out the source of the log error message since it had puzzled people before.

I was seeing the same "unsupported NAT-PMP version" messages in my log as well. Router RT 66N seemed to operate OK the messages were just there. Following @tonyquan advice I looked in my IMac and found that the Back to my Mac function was enabled in my iCloud app. De-selected it and now the messages no longer appear. Thanks Tony

Regards Bill

I am seeing that "unsupported nat-pmp version 2" message along with the "received packet with own address as source address" preceded by eth1 or eth2.

On my network, those two LAN ports have connected a PAP2T VoIP telephone adapter and a device that is used to remotely program a smart thermostat in the house. Both need to be contacted from "outside of the private network". That is obvious in regard to VoIP, but the control for the thermostat is also communicated with by the electric company on occasion. I think the presence of those two types of devices may explain both of the messages I see in the system log.

Comments?

Hello there.

This seems to be kind of a painful topic, since I strongly believed I have surfed the entire net for a solution on this.

I'm using (trying to) a OS X Server behind the Asus RC66U. Forwarded a few ports, mainly VNC for the moment.

I continuously get these error messages:

miniupnpd[460]: unsupported NAT-PMP version : 2

in the Routers Log file and when that happens, the port forwarding shuts completely down, at least for the assigned forwarding address (others keep working). the server becomes inaccessible until the ports are reset (adding one, deleting it and hitting apply).

I have shut down every mentioned service (back to my mac, itunes) except for the server, which essentially, is a important part in running a server.

The latest firmware for the Asus didn't really do it for me. A whole lot of services stoped working, messed up time zone etc. etc. so I went back to this one:

3.0.0.4.374_4422

which at least keeps the system half way running.

Any thoughts?

Much appreciated

I just realized, the problem of logging in remotely is resolved, once log into the server from the actual machine. However, calling the made and tell her to log in when I'm not there, can not be the solution.

Last edited: