What's new

Update or play it cool?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

AtariBaby

New Around Here
There's a part of me that instinctively wants to get the latest and greatest firmware, even more so when there's a guy like Merlin around.

But I am seemingly operating trouble-free with firmware and so I'm wondering, should I just chill out and be happy I'm not having any real problems? And if you think I should just do it, should I update now or wait for Merlin's next release, whenever that may be?

Depends on how old the firmware you have now is as there have been security fixes to the latest Asus stock and Merlin firmware.

Look at the changelog when new releases come out. If there's something there that you need or want, then upgrade. Otherwise be happy with what you currently have.

Don't know which router you have. If you currently have 374.158 I am assuming it is some router other than AC68R. Among recent Merlin's releases 374.39 is a good release for most instances. This may be a good release for you to upgrade to since it has a lot of bug and security fixes. Then wait for the dust to settle on the 374.40 build and future builds before you make your next firmware upgrade.

Oh what's wrong with me? Of course that's important. I have the AC68R. This is the official firmware not the Merlin firmware.

Play it semi cool: wait for the 374.40_0 release (and wait a few days before you attempt it too).

Whenever you install "the latest version", there will proably be a new version within a month or two. The you will no longer have "the latest version".

And updating means some downtime, and proabably some time to make sure things are working. In my case the family screams loud as soon as the Internet connection is down, so I want to minimize downtime:)

So IMO, use a version that works for you and does not have any security issues that are affecting you. And upgrade when you are sure you have time to fix any problems and can cope with the downtime.

Just set up my AC68R last night after getting my replacement modem from my ISP. I had RMerlin's 39 and 40_alpha7 downloaded and ready to go.

I was going to follow the advice of those in this thread and throw on 39 for stability and stress-less setup since it was 9PM at night. But for some reason I decided to risk staying up late and threw on 40_alpha7. Set up was quick, and everything works well so far!

I haven't experienced any reboots like those who have been reporting problems with the new stock firmware and earlier alpha builds from RMerlin. The throughput between my wireless clients and my wired clients plateau at approximately 160Mbps (20MB/s), which I have to tinker with some more to see if there is any way to get any more speed over the air.

Other than that, no problems. Uptime has been stable. I guess I would have to check the logs to see if there is anything wonky.

Don't know which router you have. If you currently have 374.158 I am assuming it is some router other than AC68R. Among recent Merlin's releases 374.39 is a good release for most instances. This may be a good release for you to upgrade to since it has a lot of bug and security fixes. Then wait for the dust to settle on the 374.40 build and future builds before you make your next firmware upgrade.

if using ipv6 I would hold off, seems problematic and in my case ipv6 is completely broken on that build.

I think 374.158 was the firmware that the early AC68U/R routers shipped with. I know my 68U did, at least.

As far as upgrading but still having stability and security, I would go with Merlin's 39 release and turn off the FTP server (actually, I think it's disabled by default). I've been running 39 with no issues since it came out, and it's been the all-around best firmware revision (official or Merlin) I've encountered.