What's new

Upgrade ASUS Router and Keep Old ASUS Router settings and configurations?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

PaddyPDX

Regular Contributor
Hi, I am upgrading to a RT-AX88U PRO from a RT-AC86U with Merlin firmware. Bit of a newbie question but is it possible to migrate all the settings, things like device names and static IPs etc? If not is there some way to export all of that info that can be referred to when setting up the new router?

Won't hurt much to try it. It has at least a chance of working. At the first sign of trouble, you'll know what needs be done...

Hi, I am upgrading to a RT-AX88U PRO from a RT-AC86U with Merlin firmware. Bit of a newbie question but is it possible to migrate all the settings, things like device names and static IPs etc? If not is there some way to export all of that info that can be referred to when setting up the new router?
Use the Better Search option at the top of the page. There are numerous posts describing how to transfer the custom_clientlist and dhcp_staticlist from an old router to a new router. Do not import a "Save settings" file from your old router into your new router, the hardware is completely different.

Last edited:
Won't hurt much to try it. It has at least a chance of working. At the first sign of trouble, you'll know what needs be done...
Try what? I am asking if it is possible to do migrate the existing settings to the new device and if so, how?

Possible? Yes.

Recommended? No.

Fully update the new router to the firmware you want to use/try. Perform a full reset (be sure you use the 'Initialize all settings...' button in the GUI, and/or also perform the WPS Button reset too, see the link below for the specific instructions for your model router).

Now, minimally and manually configure the new router. Do not use an old backup config file. Do not plug in a USB drive that was previously used for amtm/scripts, without first inserting it into a PC and formatting as NTFS.

Create screenshots of each page of your customized settings on your current/old router. Better yet, saving as a PDF will let you capture the full page in a single save (see the options that Firefox offers when saving webpages as PDFs). A PDF will also allow you to copy/paste easily (unlike a screenshot).

You can also dump the (sorted) NVRAM too, for reference.

You can use various utilities to backup/restore various parts of the old configuration too.

Better Search, at the top of every page, is your friend here.

Possible? Yes.

Recommended? No.

Fully update the new router to the firmware you want to use/try. Perform a full reset (be sure you use the 'Initialize all settings...' button in the GUI, and/or also perform the WPS Button reset too, see the link below for the specific instructions for your model router).

Now, minimally and manually configure the new router. Do not use an old backup config file. Do not plug in a USB drive that was previously used for amtm/scripts, without first inserting it into a PC and formatting as NTFS.

Create screenshots of each page of your customized settings on your current/old router. Better yet, saving as a PDF will let you capture the full page in a single save (see the options that Firefox offers when saving webpages as PDFs). A PDF will also allow you to copy/paste easily (unlike a screenshot).

You can also dump the (sorted) NVRAM too, for reference.

You can use various utilities to backup/restore various parts of the old configuration too.

Better Search, at the top of every page, is your friend here.

Thanks for the detailed advice. Just to be clear, I would update the new router to the Merlin firmware I want to use Before I do a full reset?

DO NOT import a saved router configuration (CFG) file from a different router model. You are just asking for trouble if you do so. Manual configuration if the best way to go for basic new router model setup. If you want to transfer DHCP manual IP reservations there are several methods of doing so. As already suggested use the forum search to find the various past discussions on how to do so using SSH. Or, if using Asus-Merlin firmware, you could install YazDHCP on the old router and export the manual IP reservations, then install YazDHCP on the new router and import that saved exported YazDHCP file.

Yes, first flash the firmware you want to use. Then do a full reset.

That is the only way to ensure the firmware installed is using its expected defaults and variables.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!