What's new

Upgrade for parents to support Wireguard

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

treeskygrass

Regular Contributor
Here’s the situation…

Parents have RT-AC68 which meets all their needs given their limited 30/5 internet. Remarkably they have no issue streaming multiple TV’s and use almost 2Tn a month on only 30Mbps (they leave TV on to sleep to).

Anyway, because of the streamers cracking down on password sharing, I route traffic from their 4 TV’s to my own IP so that all our “household” traffic originates from the same IP. Works great.

Problem is the RT-AC68 only supports OpenVPN and I think Wireguard would work better. It’s frustrating because as we all know Wireguard is tiny compared to OpenVPN and the RT-AC68 is totally capable of running it if Asus wanted to update the kernel but that looks unlikely… so I’m thinking of getting another Asus so I can use their mesh feature and turn the RT-AC68 into an AP.

So my question is… what’s the least expensive Asus that supports Wireguard and mesh (and hopefully Merlin)? They seem like mostly expensive gaming routers, which seems silly for their use case.

Prices and availability may vary by region.

Prepare

WireGuard® is only supported on the firmware version later than 3.0.0.4.388.23000. For Supported models, please refer to https://asus.click/vpnfusionmodel (You can find the support model list at the bottom of this page).

Not very helpful, I already knew that much.

Wow he put together a detailed response that gives all the info you need and that's your reply? Especially after starting multiple threads or replying to otter threads asking basically the same stuff repeatedly?

Good luck getting help when you can't get your AC68 to mesh with a 388 code router.

Parents have RT-AC68 which meets all their needs given their limited 30/5 internet. Remarkably they have no issue streaming multiple TV’s and use almost 2Tn a month on only 30Mbps (they leave TV on to sleep to).

You might get better assistance by posting in the appropriate sub-forum...

Asus has a dedicated group over there - just saying...

Wow he put together a detailed response that gives all the info you need and that's your reply? Especially after starting multiple threads or replying to otter threads asking basically the same stuff repeatedly?

Good luck getting help when you can't get your AC68 to mesh with a 388 code router.
Hardly, copy and pasted from the same page I found. I asked for a recommendation, not a Google search. Plus, he’s kinda stalking me.

Hardly, copy and pasted from the same page I found. I asked for a recommendation, not a Google search.
You didn't say you had found that page or ask for a recommendation. You asked "So my question is… what’s the least expensive Asus that supports Wireguard and mesh (and hopefully Merlin)?".

I gave you a list of routers that support Wireguard but couldn't say which is the least expensive because I don't know what country you're in and therefore stated "Prices and availability may vary by region".

Last edited:
Which you didn’t answer. 🙄
I answered part of your question, which routers support Wireguard. As I clearly stated in the very first sentence of my reply "Prices and availability may vary by region". As you didn't state what country you're in I have no way of answering the second part of the question. I gave you the list so that you could check the prices for yourself. I guess you're just too lazy to do that minimal amount of work and expect someone else to do it for you. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Some people are so ungrateful to the voluntary help given on this forum. We should all treat each other with respect and be happy that we have a wonderful forum with lots of experts on here that give their time for free (I'm not an expert, so I don't count myself in that list).