What's new

use 2 wireless router in one house

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

jkpark17

New Around Here
hi. i am using 2 e4200s

since i have 8 computers and about 15 wireless devices going on, i got 2 e4200s long time ago.

main cable modem is on second floor in my room as a bridged mod

first e4200 is right beside of the modem as a dhcp. it is on tomato firmware.

moca device is also beside of the modem too.

then on the first floor there is 1more moca device (connected to second floor moca)

now second e4200 is also on first floor as a bridged mode (stock firmware) giving both wired and wireless solution to first floor.

when i am in my room, first e4200 wireless signal is good(cuz its right beside of my bed like 5feet away)
but second e4200 wireless signal is real bad since its pretty far.

however when i eat or drink i am at first floor. my wireless signal from first e4200 gets real bad then. so i have to manually change to second e4200.

when i am done eating, i go back to my room. then i have to change to first e4200 wireless manually again...

is there any way to make wireless devices get the stronger wireless signal automatically?

sry for the bad english.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 4 Beta

hi. i am using 2 e4200s

is there any way to make wireless devices get the stronger wireless signal automatically?

sry for the bad english.

WiFi clients are dumb and there is no requirement that they check and connect to the strongest signal. They usually just try and connect to the last router/AP that they were connected to. If they can't find that SSID they will look for another. Giving all APs the same SSID can't and won't usually change this.

That is why it is recommended that you give different APs different SSIDs so users can tell if they are connected to the nearest AP and therefore probably the strongest signal.

WiFi clients are dumb and there is no requirement that they check and connect to the strongest signal. They usually just try and connect to the last router/AP that they were connected to. If they can't find that SSID they will look for another. Giving all APs the same SSID can't and won't usually change this.

That is why it is recommended that you give different APs different SSIDs so users can tell if they are connected to the nearest AP and therefore probably the strongest signal.

actually no... you can do this perhaps...

recommendation for a single WLAN is to keep common SSID's and credentials (security).

RF/Channel plans - depends on what works for one's needs...

Devices typically will sort themselves out.

sfx

actually i made two 5ghz wireless the same ssid and security. it seems working flawlessly! no more switching wireless everyday. it was a pain in the butt. Thank you so much for the suggestion.

actually i made two 5ghz wireless the same ssid and security. it seems working flawlessly! no more switching wireless everyday. it was a pain in the butt. Thank you so much for the suggestion.

happy to help :cool:

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!