What's new

x3mRouting Use x3mrouting for just dns routing

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Gifyku

New Around Here
Sorry for the noob question. I have tried going through the thread but didnt see anything definitive.

Can i use this to just route traffic to a dns unblocker rather than a VPN? I have used the dnsmasq scripts in the past but they are very hit and miss plus does not work great across devices

Sorry for the noob question. I have tried going through the thread but didnt see anything definitive.

Can i use this to just route traffic to a dns unblocker rather than a VPN? I have used the dnsmasq scripts in the past but they are very hit and miss plus does not work great across devices
No feature exists to route DNS in x3mRouting. There are already several options in the firmware to control DNS behavior.

1. DNSFilter page will allow you to force all clients to use the DNS specified on the router.
2. Or, you can specify DNS per client on the DHCP Server page.
3. OpenVPN Client Screen Accept DNS Configuration field and well as the "dhcp-option DNS x.x.x.x" combined with Strict.
4. You can also specify a DNS server in the Policy Routing section of the OpenVPN Client Screen to send DNS thru the VPN or to bypass the VPN.

If you have Accept DNS Configuration = Exclusive + Policy Rules enabled, dnsmasq is bypassed and the dnsmasq method won't work. If you have had hit and miss results with dnsmasq method, using the DNSFilter page to configure all devices to use DNS specified on the router is the easiest method.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!