What's new

Various Questions Relating to AC66R

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

drice717

New Around Here
Hello all, this is my first post but I have been reading the asuswrt-merlin thread awhile now and it's the first custom firmware I used when I first got my AC66R. I have several questions that I would like some feedback to, so I will just jump right into it.

First of all, I believe my throughput isn't achieving maximum results like others I have seen. While my speedtest.net results are accurate to what my ISP has sold me (TWC 20 mbps down 2 mbps Up) - my internal speeds are lacking. The highest I have gotten to date is 4 mbps down with multiple streams pulling from multiple locations at once and monitoring this from the traffic monitor page (This would be an awesome desktop gadget btw).

Internal speeds aren't looking as great as others report either. My setup is this: TWC ISP goes to the router. From the router is one directly connected Windows 7 machine using CAT5e cable (RAY-PC) and 1 directly connected ROKU 2 XS using Cat5e cable. I have one Kindle Fire HD 8.9 using the 5GHz band (rarely as it seems to always want to be on 2.4GHz unless i specify), and I have my laptop (DR-ICE) running a Intel Centrino Wireless-N 1030. It took me ages to figure out I didn't have a dual-channel wireless card and that got me angry but I was able to tweak my settings to achieve a 300 MBps solid connection about 15 feet from my router. OK - so that being said here's what happened:

Using several tests which I can go into much further detail if needed resulted in this baseline: From Wireless (DR-ICE) to hardwired machine (RAY-PC) I can get about 5-8.5 mbps on a samba file transfer (as confirmed by the traffic monitor and a LAN Bandwidth montior). From RAY-PC to any type of USB hard-drive (USB 2.0-3.0 and a nifty hardware device I will talk about in a second that will certainly make some folks happy) the speed maxes at 8.5 mbps. From DR-ICE to the router hard-drives it's much lower from 2-4 mbps. I can 1080p from any of the devices, router or RAY-PC without any skipping or hesitation which is why I bought the router, but I still think my speeds are really low.

The hard drive device I'm using now is a Thermaltake BlacX - that allows you to fast-swap any SATA 2 TB drives, hence with one USB port I can add upwards of 4 TB at a time with one device and if I had two of these devices I could scale to 8 TB which delights me. This works pretty well on the router for accessing files but I've found that *any* usb attached hard drive does badly with multiple file handles open either reading or writing, and I've lost several files and had to fix the filesystem (NTFS on all my drives) several times by connecting the drive to a windows machine.

So the router has a hard time with NTFS file handlers and drops the filesystem table - okay, maybe I will just connect the BlacX to my windows machine, fill it up and then offer it on my cloud - that's fine too. Which leads to the next part:

I can mount my CIFS share properly through SSH using a mount command to mount to /mnt/$volumename - but then I can't see it when I network browse to my router from my windows machine - all that shows up is the one already connected usb hard drive. How can I get this to show up here to do mappings?

Wow - this was long, I will stop at this point and see what people think.