What's new

Very odd question concerning Dlink DIR-855

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

hummer28

New Around Here
I have a Dlink DIR-855 that has a missing middle antenna. It has the other two. I'm trying to figure out if I can use a replacement 2.4Ghz external antenna for the middle slot and still have the 5Ghz capability. I don't know exactly how this all works and have searched for answers before posting. Is the 5Ghz signal dependent upon the antenna, or does the connection just need an antenna on the end to send/receive. Are the outside antennas designated for 2.4Ghz or 5.0GHz only? This may make absolutely no sense at all, but I appreciate any help.

Basically, I just need to know how my 5.0Ghz would be impacted or even achieved having to replace the middle antenna. I'm assuming the 2.4 end of things would be fine.

The 855 uses 2.4 / 5 GHz combo antennas. If you replace the missing antenna with a 2.4 GHz only antenna, you'd still have 5 GHz capability from the other two antennas, but it probably wouldn't perform as well as all three.

The 855 uses 2.4 / 5 GHz combo antennas. If you replace the missing antenna with a 2.4 GHz only antenna, you'd still have 5 GHz capability from the other two antennas, but it probably wouldn't perform as well as all three.

You still don't think it will perform better with the two? How do you figure that?

That's what I was afraid of. I found a fully functioning DIR-855 that I bought off someone for $150 to replace my WRT-610n (can't take the droped connections ... even after applying settings I found here). Dlink doesn't sell replacement antennas and directed me to their 2.4GHz aftermarket model.

That's what I was afraid of. I found a fully functioning DIR-855 that I bought off someone for $150 to replace my WRT-610n (can't take the droped connections ... even after applying settings I found here). Dlink doesn't sell replacement antennas and directed me to their 2.4GHz aftermarket model.

D-Link is only going to recommend D-Link products; if they had a combo antenna, they'd recommend it. In this thread, Viruzz_IL found this cheap combo antenna. In his case, the question was whether or not he'd see a benefit in upgrading, but since you are going to an antenna from none at all, it's easier to justify (with the below caveat).

tipstir said:
You still don't think it will perform better with the two? How do you figure that?

The alternative I was referring to was having three dual-band antennas, not his present configuration. The realizable benefit of 3T3R does depend on the client's ability to take advantage of it, though.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!