What's new

VPN to VM to avoid no-vpn, location restricted websites?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

gonfalons

New Around Here
I have an Asus RT-AC68U and a couple of VPN subscriptions. Some of my regular sites are restricted in my country and also unfortunately do not allow VPN/proxies to be used. I have set it up like this, which sometimes works, but often my location leaks and I cannot use the site.

OS + VPN hosts a virtual machine
virtual machine uses hardened browser, google DNS, no vpn (but its on the vpn connection from host machine, browserleaks etc no leak detected). Clock matches location.

I have been surprised when they are able to detect I am using a vpn. This lead me to try a private IP address, but this still did not help. I am at a loss. I thought my location would be encrypted and a VM another layer of security to mask using a VPN.

What is the leak and how can I plug it? Thank you :)

When you access a site through a VPN, your public IP becomes that of the VPN provider. Websites only have to blacklist known IPs from providers to reject VPN visitors. There's nothing you can do to get around that, short of either stopping using a VPN, or finding a provider whose IP isn't blacklisted... yet.

Try and set this in your VPN client config:

View attachment 8184

Can you post your VPN Client configs? Block out your server IP.

Use an encryption level that uses port 80 or 443 since that is normal web and https traffic.

Ask your provider to give you another Private IP to try. I have a Private IP and it works like a charm. Also, try the DNS your VPN provider gives you. Or, try OpenDNS IPs 208.67.222.222 and 208.67.220.220.
Not sure how that would help. When you are on a VPN you shouldn't be pointing your DNS to public addresses. what is the purpose of having a private IP address when they can track your Public DNS.
Many sites are banning VPN companies and they can't keep up with the bans.

When you access a site through a VPN, your public IP becomes that of the VPN provider. Websites only have to blacklist known IPs from providers to reject VPN visitors. There's nothing you can do to get around that, short of either stopping using a VPN, or finding a provider whose IP isn't blacklisted... yet.

Basically the use case for many (e.g. ge0-unlock for media content) is going away in the ipv4 and ipv6 space...

Just at matter of time...

Hi @yorgi,

I noticed that in the instructions of more than one VPN provider, they instruct the customer that they could use a third party DNS. By trying OpenDNS, the OP could then provide the feedback to his provider that they tried a third party one in addition to the one provided by the VPN provider and what the result was.

The OP does not state his VPN provider, his location or exactly what sites are being blocked. I've seen posts of people complaining of getting around VPN restrictions with "The Great Firewall of China".

When the Netfluckus VPN ban started, my provider stopped working with them. I changed to one that had a private IP. The first one they gave me is a private IP in an Amazon server farm. By this time though, N.F. had blocked the entire IP address block of the Amazon server farms. The second one they gave me worked okay, for awhile. I'm on my fourth one now due to issues with the previous ones. As a result, the OP needs to work with his provider to give him a private IP that works. Or, try another VPN provider. Because of the issues I had with my previous private IPs, the tech told me their technique for getting around the N.F. VPN block. But the secret stays with me.
Say it anyway you want, if you use a public DNS and not the one supplied by the VPN provider you are getting no protection at all. You are leaking your DNS and you can be traced. If you use it only for geolocation then its fine, but if you are downloading torrents then you have a problem. VPN providers are misleading people into doing things that are against VPN practice.
VPN in my opinion is good for people who want to download from torrents. If you want to browse anonymously you will get away with 95% of the sites not being blocked, We also learned with NETFLIX that you have a problem due to Netflix banning VPN companies, geolocation with VPN still works for most sites but more and more are starting to ban.
Do not suggest to people to ever use OpenDNS or GOOGLE for DNS when on a VPN, you are steering them into a bad road :p
It defeats the purpose of purchasing a VPN service.

What RMerlin said. If your VPN provider's IP has been added to the list, there's little you can do about it, except maybe:

1. Change your IP (same region, different IP)
2. Change your IP (different region, different IP)
3. Change provider (one with a different IP pool)
4. Browse without the IP (the least safe option by far)

And gonfalons, is there an IP or DNS leak? And does your VPN have a killswitch, like, does it stops everything when it abruptly disconnects? I'm using ivacy vpn atm, it kind of disconnects my internet, like totally, so i'd know i have to reconnect everything and that includes vpn. nice little safety check feature there