What's new

VPN Tunnel between countries

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

A.J.Rimmer

New Around Here
Hello,
I have two asus-rt-ac68u routers both loaded with the Merlin Firmare 380.63
I need to set up a VPN tunnel between the routers, which are located in two countries.

Country A is the VPN Server, and Country B is the Client.
Problem is that Country B ISPs don't give you a public IP.
(Apparently the ISP’s route all their client’s through a few IP addresses)

I've managed to get part of the way...
Country A
- Can run OpenVPN Client on mobile devices and access Router
- In router GUI, can see Country B Router as a VPN Client "connected"
- Cannot access network in Country B

Country B
- Can run OpenVPN Client on mobile devices and access Country A Router Only
- When connected to router's network, cannot access network in country A, unless device (laptop) is running OpenVPN Client...I was of the understanding that as long as router is the client then any device on it's network should be able to see network of other country.

Look forward to any suggestions.

Hello,
I have two asus-rt-ac68u routers both loaded with the Merlin Firmare 380.63
I need to set up a VPN tunnel between the routers, which are located in two countries.

Country A is the VPN Server, and Country B is the Client.
Problem is that Country B ISPs don't give you a public IP.
(Apparently the ISP’s route all their client’s through a few IP addresses)

I've managed to get part of the way...
Country A
- Can run OpenVPN Client on mobile devices and access Router
- In router GUI, can see Country B Router as a VPN Client "connected"
- Cannot access network in Country B

Country B
- Can run OpenVPN Client on mobile devices and access Country A Router Only
- When connected to router's network, cannot access network in country A, unless device (laptop) is running OpenVPN Client...I was of the understanding that as long as router is the client then any device on it's network should be able to see network of other country.

https://www.snbforums.com/threads/h...th-asus-routers-380-66-6-updated-07-05.33638/

For testing purposes, I would also install the OpenVPN client on your PC/laptop. Try to connect your PC/laptop directly to the VPN. Once you have remote access to everything on the internal LAN, then configure the client router. This way, it's easier to see if the problem is with the server-side or not.

Thanks for your suggestions. I've been travelling back and forth implementing the settings as per the tread, and got the VPN-Client Router working OK. If on the VPN-client router LAN, I can connect to the the VPN-server network. However, if on the the VPN-Server LAN, I can't connect to the VPN-Client Router network. Any other suggestions greatly appreciated.