What's new

vpnmgr vpnmgr - Manage and update VPN Client configurations for NordVPN and PIA

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Which VPN provider do you use?

• Total voters
This brings to mind something I've been wondering about. Your configuration options are slightly different than what NordVPN has listed on their How-To. Was there something you discovered along the way that made you decide to add the additional options? I'm hoping to get a better understanding of what it all means.

Code:
remote-cert-tls server
remote-random
nobind
tun-mtu 1500
tun-mtu-extra 32
mssfix 1450
persist-key
persist-tun
ping-timer-rem
reneg-sec 0

#log /tmp/vpn.log

Code:
remote-random
resolv-retry infinite
remote-cert-tls server
ping 15
ping-restart 0
ping-timer-rem
persist-key
persist-tun
reneg-sec 0
fast-io
disable-occ
mute-replay-warnings
auth-nocache
sndbuf 524288
rcvbuf 524288
push "sndbuf 524288"
push "rcvbuf 524288"
pull-filter ignore "auth-token"
pull-filter ignore "ifconfig-ipv6"
pull-filter ignore "route-ipv6"
tun-mtu 1500
tun-mtu-extra 32
mssfix 1450
Just wondering can I add this custom config in replace the one that nordvpn uses in their setup without using your vpnmgr ?

Just wondering can I add this custom config in replace the one that nordvpn uses in their setup without using your vpnmgr ?
Yes... just drop it into your clients' custom configuration window, and it'll utilize whatever you have in there. ;)

Yes... just drop it into your clients' custom configuration window, and it'll utilize whatever you have in there. ;)
Thanks can I remove the one there and replace it with the said script? or just add it the one there?

Thanks can I remove the one there and replace it with the said script? or just add it the one there?
No prob! You would just replace it... this is what I have in all of mine:

Code:
remote-random
resolv-retry infinite
remote-cert-tls server
ping 15
ping-restart 0
ping-timer-rem
persist-key
persist-tun
reneg-sec 0
fast-io
disable-occ
mute-replay-warnings
auth-nocache
sndbuf 524288
rcvbuf 524288
push "sndbuf 524288"
push "rcvbuf 524288"
explicit-exit-notify 3
tun-mtu 1500
tun-mtu-extra 32
mssfix 1450

No prob! You would just replace it... this is what I have in all of mine:

Code:
remote-random
resolv-retry infinite
remote-cert-tls server
ping 15
ping-restart 0
ping-timer-rem
persist-key
persist-tun
reneg-sec 0
fast-io
disable-occ
mute-replay-warnings
auth-nocache
sndbuf 524288
rcvbuf 524288
push "sndbuf 524288"
push "rcvbuf 524288"
explicit-exit-notify 3
tun-mtu 1500
tun-mtu-extra 32
mssfix 1450
Thanks which router are you using? I have the AC86u

This actually brings up a good point that I've been wondering about, and have not been able to find much supporting documentation about this. @Jack Yaz, what exactly does the function "Use vpnmgr custom settings" do? I'm not sure what options there are for this, or what exactly its purpose is? l looked at your code, and it seems to refer to /jffs/addons/custom_settings.txt? I'm unfortunately not versed enough to decipher how it should be used. Lol.

Screenshot 2022-01-15 08.35.21.png

Does it have any effect leaving it on or off? Thanks!

Thanks which router are you using? I have the AC86u
Same here... Here's a good tip - throw info like this into your signature line, and we'll all know what you have to work with. :)

Sorry not sure what signature line is
No prob... at the top right of your screen, click on your username/icon... it'll drop down, and one of the items in there is labeled "signature". Hit that, and you will have the ability to add a short tag to each of your posts. It's definitely helpful to include your router model/firmware version you're running, and optionally, any addons you might be using.

No prob... at the top right of your screen, click on your username/icon... it'll drop down, and one of the items in there is labeled "signature". Hit that, and you will have the ability to add a short tag to each of your posts. It's definitely helpful to include your router model/firmware version you're running, and optionally, any addons you might be using.
Thanks a lot for your help.

This actually brings up a good point that I've been wondering about, and have not been able to find much supporting documentation about this. @Jack Yaz, what exactly does the function "Use vpnmgr custom settings" do? I'm not sure what options there are for this, or what exactly its purpose is? l looked at your code, and it seems to refer to /jffs/addons/custom_settings.txt? I'm unfortunately not versed enough to decipher how it should be used. Lol.

View attachment 38620

Does it have any effect leaving it on or off? Thanks!
it overwrites anything you put in custom configuration of the vpn client with settings i've found to work best, like send buffer etc.

it overwrites anything you put in custom configuration of the vpn client with settings i've found to work best, like send buffer etc.
Great to know... I believe I was already using your custom settings by default, which is probably why I didn't see much of a difference. ;) Thank you!

The vpnmgr page also doesn't load.
View attachment 35480

What am I doing wrong? How can I fix this?
I just changed to the RT-AX86U and have this exact same problem. The CLI works, but the GUI doesn't have any options. Is there something I can try to fix the Web GUI?

I just changed to the RT-AX86U and have this exact same problem. The CLI works, but the GUI doesn't have any options. Is there something I can try to fix the Web GUI?
Just wanted to run down a list of things to try, or you may have already tried?

1.) Reboot?
2.) Delete/refresh your browser cache?
3.) Uninstall/reinstall vpnmgr?

Check for errors in the browser Console (f12) please

Just wanted to run down a list of things to try, or you may have already tried?

1.) Reboot?
2.) Delete/refresh your browser cache?
3.) Uninstall/reinstall vpnmgr?
Yes.
Yes.
Not an uninstall, but I did switch back and forth from stable to develop and then back to stable.

Last edited:
i wonder if wevpn have changed the download location
can you try option r at the CLI SSH and see if that errors?
It takes longer than Nord and PIA, but this is the ultimate result:
1646228858734.png

It takes longer than Nord and PIA, but this is the ultimate result:
View attachment 39934
Mine is pretty much instantaneous going from "No changes in WeVPN OpenVPN file archives" to the "Press enter to continue".

Can you make sure you're able to reach these URLs/files?

Code:
https://wevpn.com/resources/openvpn/UDP.zip
https://wevpn.com/resources/openvpn/TCP.zip

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!