What's new

WAN DNS Setting

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

TheLyppardMan

Very Senior Member
Now that I am no longer using AB-Solution, does it make any difference whether I set the DNS settings to manual or auto (see screenshot for current setup)?

Attachments

• 001.jpg
    001.jpg
    14.2 KB · Views: 555
If you leave those settings as they are your router will use OpenDNS' servers. If you set it to auto it will use the DNS servers provided by your ISP. Your choice.

I thought those settings were managed by the section I have shown in my screenshot below.

Attachments

• 009.jpg
    009.jpg
    51.3 KB · Views: 733
You provided no context for your original question and no information about any of the other settings on your router.

DNSFilter and the WAN DNS settings are two different things.

So if I set OpenDNS settings on the page shown in my last post but leave the WAN DNS settings on auto, do I still get OpenDNS? What about if I set WAN DNS to 280.67.222.222/280.67.220.220 and set the other one to no filtering, what do I get then? Or if I set WAN DNS to 280.67.222.222/280.67.220.220 and the other one to Norton Family? I can't get it in my head what the difference is with these settings and also, which takes priority.

The WAN DNS settings are what the router uses for it's upstream queries. The DNSFilter settings are used to force all or some clients to use a particular DNS server.

Your DNSFilter settings as shown will force all clients to use the OpenDNS server, apart from the two cameras that will use whatever is set as their DNS server.