1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice

Welcome To SNBForums

SNBForums is a community for anyone who wants to learn about or discuss the latest in wireless routers, network storage and the ins and outs of building and maintaining a small network.

If you'd like to post a question, simply register and have at it!

While you're at it, please check out SmallNetBuilder for product reviews and our famous Router Charts, Ranker and plenty more!

WAN DNS Setting

Discussion in 'Asuswrt-Merlin' started by TheLyppardMan, Jun 14, 2018 at 1:41 PM.

1. TheLyppardMan

TheLyppardMan Senior Member

Now that I am no longer using AB-Solution, does it make any difference whether I set the DNS settings to manual or auto (see screenshot for current setup)?

Attached Files:

• 001.jpg
      001.jpg
      File size:
      14.2 KB
      Views:
  2. Please support SNBForums! Just click on this link before you buy something from Amazon and we'll get a small commission on anything you buy. Thanks!
  3. ColinTaylor

ColinTaylor Part of the Furniture

If you leave those settings as they are your router will use OpenDNS' servers. If you set it to auto it will use the DNS servers provided by your ISP. Your choice.

4. TheLyppardMan

I thought those settings were managed by the section I have shown in my screenshot below.

Attached Files:

• 009.jpg
      009.jpg
      File size:
      51.3 KB
      Views:
  5. ColinTaylor

You provided no context for your original question and no information about any of the other settings on your router.

DNSFilter and the WAN DNS settings are two different things.

6. TheLyppardMan

So if I set OpenDNS settings on the page shown in my last post but leave the WAN DNS settings on auto, do I still get OpenDNS? What about if I set WAN DNS to 280.67.222.222/280.67.220.220 and set the other one to no filtering, what do I get then? Or if I set WAN DNS to 280.67.222.222/280.67.220.220 and the other one to Norton Family? I can't get it in my head what the difference is with these settings and also, which takes priority.

7. ColinTaylor

The WAN DNS settings are what the router uses for it's upstream queries. The DNSFilter settings are used to force all or some clients to use a particular DNS server.

Your DNSFilter settings as shown will force all clients to use the OpenDNS server, apart from the two cameras that will use whatever is set as their DNS server.

skeal likes this.
Please support SNBForums! Just click on this link before you buy something from Amazon and we'll get a small commission on anything you buy. Thanks!