What's new

want to upgrade internal WiFi card on my laptop

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Edbert

Occasional Visitor
My laptop is a gemer-class machine, an MSI GE70-20E and it can (supposedly) use any mini PCIe NIC. I currently have an "N" adapter in there, the slow speed of that had me using GB Ethernet for large file transfers or USB for very large file transfers. Was not a real problem for me since my WiFi router was an A/B/G/N type anyway. Well I just bought an AC66U and now am finding the "N" to be unacceptable :)

I am looking at this one:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833106190

Intel 7260HMW IEEE 802.11AC, dual-band, 2x2 Wi-Fi plus Bluetooth 4.0 Mini PCI Express combo Adapter - 867 Mbps+300Mbps - Internal - OEM

Standards: IEEE 802.11ac
Wireless Data Rates: 867 Mbps
Antenna: Diversity Antenna
Features: Product Type:Wi-Fi/Bluetooth Combo Adapter Thickness:94.5 mil Bluetooth Standard:Bluetooth 4.0 Product Family:7200 Form Factor:Internal ISM Band:Yes UNII Band:Yes Height:1.1" Width:1.2"
Model #: 7260HMW
Item #: N82E16833106190
Return Policy: Iron Egg Guarantee Return Policy

Clearly states it is the Bluetooth adapter as well, don't mind replacing that at the same time but wonder if the integrated (OEM) card also does the Bluetooth on my GE70-20E or not. Also do not see any mention of antenna length, I'd read that can be an issue on some laptops. The throughput will blow away my current "N" adapter but my router supports 1750 so the 867 is not very attractive, maybe I should wait. I do not see any offerings from MSI at this time.

Sorry for asking nooby questions but I've never done this before and don't want to screw up the laptop I love or buy something that won't work. Will this card work for me? Can you suggest a better choice?

Unfortunately the card that is in your laptop uses an antenna that was designed for that card. If the new card has different antenna requirements in order to achieve those speeds, you'll never be able attain the speeds that the card is capable of. And the antenna that comes with the laptop is much harder to replace because of its integration into the chassis of the laptop.