What's new

What ISP internet speed do you have and why?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

albireo13

Occasional Visitor
I ended up upgrading to 150MBPS service this summer with Comcast. It's probably overkill so the jury is still out. I do mostly web surfing, streaming music, and occasionally Netflix or movie streaming.
I'm definitely not a power user.

I was curious what other folks do??

Well, don’t look a gift horse. I’m 3mi outside a small town of 2500, sitting a little in the country. 15 yrs ago, my property was a corn field. We have a local ISP, who’s service is phenomenal, but all I can get at my location is wireless. Fastest constant download speed is 6MB. All this for $45/mo. Why would I put up with that? Unlimited data, and I mean unlimited and well, that’s all I can get here. I do have an ATT Mobley device, also unlimited data, that I occasionally use if the 6MB get congested. Usually use the Mobley in the RV when on the road. Anyway, any of your extra overkill, I’ll gladly take off your hands. [emoji16]

I recently went with 120/20 (from my previous 30/10) primarily for the upload speed increase. Local cable company has pretty weak upstream rates (they are still finalizing their DOCSIS 3.1 upgrades), and getting above 20 MBpz becomes way expensive.

And Bell (which I try really hard to avoid anyway) still has nothing better than FTTN in my area.

I'd say for most home users, 30 Mbps downstream is enough, unless you have a big gamer within the house, who has to download 20-40 GB of data every time they buy a new game over Steam/Xbox/PSN. Faster upstream become handy only if you actually do a lot of uploads (in my case, I have online backups as well as regular firmware releases that require upload speed).

fkTu9tL.jpg

1Gbps up/down is plenty for now. Eventually would hope 10GE drops in price as $250/month is much too steep not to mention my current home network can't support > 1Gbps...

I'm on a 150/10 connection with CoxHSI, and it's been good enough... it's just the two of us - she's general email/web browsing/media streaming - me similar but work on remote servers over ssh as well...

Just sad what I have to pay for this compared to folks in Europe and Asia for better pipes...

Screen Shot 2018-12-02 at 5.44.09 PM.png

A couple of areas in our state offer 1 Gig up/down, mainly where electrical co-ops installed it in their lines, and it's reasonable, $70 for 1Gb up/down, $50 for 500 Mb up/down. Wish we had that option but we don't need it enough to relocate. We spoke to the co-op fp;ls last spring and they were amused, since their business customers have it but never get close to using 1/4th of that speed (bragging rights are cheap for that price).

MediaCom (cable), Centurylink and ATT (telecoms) offer 1 Gig fiber in a few urban areas, but only if one subscribes to their phone and other services. Ours is a rural area out in the county with only a couple of options, if one doesn't count a smartphone data package, which is advertised to be 4G but isn't. There is a local 'high-speed' wireless provider who offers 1.5 Mb up and 384 Kb down, yawn, and an $85 per month package for 5 Mb down, 1 Mb up, with yearly contract renewals. The phone companies never built-out in the state, but still have a few customers that like their dial-up, but only offer it to customers who have a landline. We asked, and they wanted a pile of Benjamin, just to extend the phone cable to our property.

Thankfully, a few years ago a regional cable/ISP bought out a mom/pop analog cable system which was falling apart, and upgraded their systems and tied into a fiber cable last year. We now have options of 100 Mb down 10 Mb for $150 per month, if we bought into a cable TV package, but went for their 25-40 Mb down with 3-5 Mb upstream for about $60 per month, including taxes/fees, with no contract required. We don't need cloud service so it speedy enough for the middle of nowhere.

Internet access and development in our state hasn't had any significant investment in years, and no one is counting on the so-far non-existent 5G future, which may never arrive in rural areas, not that we'd want to live near a tower. We supposedly already access to 4G, at least according to those who have a smartphone plan, but there have been nothing that indicates it's faster than 3G, with only three over-sold, shared towers in the count. What most hope is that the providers don't return to their practices of the good old days, when rates doubled without warning. It's happening in some places. One cable ISP operator we talked to are worried because of cable-cutting, so they try to subsidize internet access somewhat if customers keep their TV service.

This year the satellite providers have pumped large sums into advertising their internet service in rural areas, raising downstream speeds which were always historically astronomically over-priced and over-subscribed. We called them after looking their website over. They tried to stick with the language that they no longer enforce (strict) data caps during certain hours every day for each month, but as with cable and the telecom operators, you have to take their TV package as well so it's still an expensive proposition for those who have another option. Hope this helps, Happy Holidays :)

Residential internet is a bit of a mess here in Australia due to it becoming a political football. I got lucky on my new apartment as they chose to have private fibre installed with FTTR (Fiber to the riser) to each apartment, much better then the FTTN (Fiber to the node) the rest of the country gets which is heavily reliant on old copper and oversold.

For $90 AUD I get 100/40 with unlimited downloads (we still have data caps in 2018 :rolleyes:). The next lower tier 25/5 is a little too slow for me.

1Gbps up/down via Google Fiber. Do I need it? Nope. They offer a 100Mpbs service which probably would be just fine for us....but I am too lazy to downgrade and it is really nice when I download ISO images or Windows updates to have the extra bandwidth. That is pretty much the only time I ever go over 50Mbps....otherwise general Internet use and streaming generally will stay under 20Mbps...depending on how many concurrent streams you may have to support. My in-laws only have a 12Mbps connection and streaming works fine there....but they can really only handle 2 maybe 3 at a time before quality starts to drop off.

For me, having the increased upload speed is more important than super high download. I work from home, so I use upload a lot for work. I previously had 200/10 via my local cable company, so getting rid of that 10Mbps upload limit was a game changer for me.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!