What's new

What's going on here? Can't access router's IP and ipconfig shows weird IP?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

SimbaLion

New Around Here
I haven't changed anything to the router setup. I try to visit my AC68R's IP 192.168.X.X and can't connect. When I do IPconfig, I get this:

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 172.16.1.50
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 172.16.1.1

What the heck is going on? Am I being hacked? What is this 172.16.X.X business? Help!

Update: I manually assigned my wired PC to have a static IP on the 192.168.x.x subnet and can now log in to the router. However, I do not know what is causing my router to be doling out these weird 172.16.x.x IP's??

1) I've rebooted the router.
2) I've upgraded the firmware.
3) Guest networks are disabled.
4) I'm on Merlin's latest public, stabled firmware.

Anyone?

Update: I manually assigned my wired PC to have a static IP on the 192.168.x.x subnet and can now log in to the router. However, I do not know what is causing my router to be doling out these weird 172.16.x.x IP's??

1) I've rebooted the router.
2) I've upgraded the firmware.
3) Guest networks are disabled.
4) I'm on Merlin's latest public, stabled firmware.

Anyone?

Did you do a complete factory reset and reconfigure all your settings ?

Just did. It looks fixed, although my iPhone reconnected to the wireless and still showed a 172.16 IP until I told it to forget the network and completely reconnected.

Anyone know why this happened? It doesn't seem like a commonplace problem at all...

You have another DHCP server running on your LAN, or your modem isn't properly plugged in the WAN interface of your router, most likely.

See if you can access a web interface at 172.16.1.1.

Only thing I can think of is the MOCA network running "leaking" requests in from another network. I am nearly 100% sure there is no other DHCP server running on my own network.

I can't access a web interface on 176.X IP.