What's new

Where to Set DNS Servers?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

WMConey

Regular Contributor
Looking for some help for a networking novice - TIA!

In the firmware, there are two places to set custom DNS servers. One is the WAN page, the other is the LAN page, under the DHCP server tab, which has the DNSSEC options.

Can someone explain the difference in effect between the two pages? Or point me to a resource or previous post?

Guidance and advice much appreciated.

What's on the DHCP page is what is given to your clients. Proper operation requires your clients to receive your router's IP as the DNS, so the router can act as a the LAN resolver, provide caching, and resolve private local names for all your local clients.

What's on the WAN page is what the router's resolver will use to send its queries to resolve public domain names.

Normally, you should not change what's on the DHCP page, unless you use a separate DNS within your LAN (for instance if you host a Windows Server), and the WAN page should be either your ISP's DNS, or any third party nameservers you want to use.

resolve private local names for all your local clients.

First, thanks for the quick response. As a seller of automated production gear, I understand the difficulty of software development and just want to express appreciation for your work, especially as the environment becomes more difficult.

As a follow-on, does the above quoted snippet also suggest that the router is also the best choice as Master Browser in a mixed [ie, no Microsoft domain controller] networking environment?

As a follow-on, does the above quoted snippet also suggest that the router is also the best choice as Master Browser in a mixed [ie, no Microsoft domain controller] networking environment?

If you have a NAS on your LAN, I would advise to let the NAS handle master browser duties. If it's purely a workgroup of computers, then the router would be a good choice since it will be up 24/7.

This being said, keep in mind that browsing is something that is going to disappear in the near future, as LAN clients drop support for SMBv1. Newer revisions do not support network browsing.

If you have a NAS on your LAN, I would advise to let the NAS handle master browser duties. If it's purely a workgroup of computers, then the router would be a good choice since it will be up 24/7.

This being said, keep in mind that browsing is something that is going to disappear in the near future, as LAN clients drop support for SMBv1. Newer revisions do not support network browsing.

Yes, two QNAPS and a soon-to-be-decommissioned Zyxel. Sounds like I should figure out how to set the beefiest QNAP as the MB. I can hardly wait to see what new problems my [thankfully few] Windows boxes have as the changes go through.

Again, much appreciation for your help and advice.