What's new

Where to see AI Mesh clients Wireless logs?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

rtn66uftw

I've just setup a AI mesh network using two AC86U running Merlin 386_11 and want to see the wireless log of all AI mesh clients. However, in the System log > Wireless log menu, I could only see devices connected to the main router, not the mesh node. Can anyone show me how? Thanks

You can't. All you can see is the list of connected clients, on the AiMesh page itself.

Edit: I misread the thread title in my initial response. Long day I guess.

I never like to contradict management, but I've been able to view the logs on a node by ssh'ing to the node (using the node IP address) and issuing a cat /tmp/syslog.log to view the node log. To watch it real-time, I've used the command tail -f /tmp/syslog.log.

(I have to confess that I've also done a number of other unsupported things on my mesh node, which is running straight Asus, such as installing Entware and scribe (to filter log entries) and vnStat-on-Merlin (so I can see how much data is being used by devices on the node). I don't recommend it, but it can be done.)

(I suppose with all of my messing with the node that the correct path for the log file on the node may be different if you're running it as a vanilla node setup.)

Last edited:
I never like to contradict management, but I've been able to view the logs on a node by ssh'ing to the node (using the node IP address) and issuing a cat /tmp/syslog.log to view the node log. To watch it real-time, I've used the command tail -f /tmp/syslog.log.

(I have to confess that I've also done a number of other unsupported things on my mesh node, which is running straight Asus, such as installing Entware and scribe (to filter log entries) and vnStat-on-Merlin (so I can see how much data is being used by devices on the node). I don't recommend it, but it can be done.)

(I suppose with all of my messing with the node that the correct path for the log file on the node may be different if you're running it as a vanilla node setup.)
I don't suppose this would reveal the wireless log?

I think those pages are dynamic, so they aren't actually a "log file" the way syslog is. Someone else might be able to suggest something but there's nothing that seems to be automatically created as a written log that I can see.

Wireless connections to the node do show up on the Network Map > View List (at least on mine - AX86U main and AC66U_B1 node). Granted they don't show in the detailed Wireless Log on the main router, which is what I suppose you're looking for.

EDIT: there is a "current_wired_client_list.json" in the /tmp directory, but no corresponding "wireless" client list.

EDIT 2: I completely mis-read the title of the post I guess, missing the "wireless log" verbiage. Sheesh. Apologies for the wild goose chase.

Last edited:
The Wireless Log page content isn't from a logfile, it's dynamically generated by the web server.

@toaruScar - today I was poking around my main router and discovered /tmp/clientlist.json which lists all the connections to the router (in json format).

This is obviously a dynamic list and there's no indicator of what's on a node, but if you'd "bound" certain devices/MACs to the node, you could potentially extract from that file...