What's new

Which single band wireless router most recommended with attached NAS

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

ldesmar

Occasional Visitor
Thanks for the feedback.

Just joined this forum today and have been doing a lot of browsing on your site. Find it most helpfull and informative...nicely done!

I read multiple forums and threads regarding Wireless N and understand now why I should simply add a Wireless N Single Band to my existing (fully working) G Router rather then go to Dual Band N Routers. Makes sense based on the info I saw:)

After reading all this, it leads me to another question regarding the "right single band Wireless N" for me! Here is my current set-up and what I want to add to it:

I have 4 wireless devices ( 3 laptops + 1 wireless all-in-one printer).

2 of the laptops can only use Wireless G and would remain on my existing Linksys WRT54G Wireless Router once I convert it into an Access Point ( and will likely keep the WiFi Printer as I doubt it offers Wireless N ...but will check).

The other laptop has Intel 5300 WiFi which could make use of the Wireless N speed once I purchase and install it as my "main Router".

I also want to ADD a new wired Network Acessible Storage device to this. I am looking for a device that could act as the central repositary for shared files (music, videos and the likes) AND serve as a central auto-back-up system for all laptops. The auto back-up is now important to me as I recently fried my main PC HD and have lost everything that had been accumulated for years on it! Am considering RAID 1 or better from what I read so far!

I also want the ability to deliver Music or Video-Streaming over the LAN to any of the laptops and to incorporate my HD TV 480p into the mix. ( Am looking into VLC or something similar)

Finally, I would also like to somehow segregate the traffic from my son's laptop. He is a fan of P2P and am mostly concerned of viruses; even though he is equipped with all necessary licensed protection tools. He is pretty good at staying within his download limit to avoid exceeding my total allowance each month :) It would still be "nice" if the chosen system could also set a capacity limit or warning message for him, but not an absolute necessity in this case.

I admit that I am getting confused with some of the options that Wireless Routers offer in terms of attaching an managing a NAS, over the Network or as USB-connected. There are some articles that suggest some routers are not really offering good value to manage a NAS device.

I realize the above is a mouthfull, but would really appreciate any suggestions you can offer; either for Wireless N Single Band or for a proper NAS if these are better suited in a well coordinated purchase :)

Luc

NAS support is not a wireless router issue. You simply plug the NAS into a LAN switch port, preferably Gigabit vs. 10/100.

The issue with wireless and NASes is that even 802.11n routers limit file transfer speed to significantly less than you get from even a wired 10/100 Ethernet connection. So wireless connections are not good for large backups unless you're ok with waiting a very long time.

There are 802.11n routers that can control uplink / upstream bandwidth use. But none that control download speed. The new NETGEAR WNDR3700 can track total up and download bandwidth use and even disable Internet access after a programmed limit is reached. But this is for all users of the router.

For up and download bandwidth control, you need to look at other routing solutions. See Taming Your Network's Bandwidth Hogs - Part 1 and Taming Your Network's Bandwidth Hogs - Part 2.