What's new

Why no HomePlug(Powerline) with PoE (802.3af/at)?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

ccl13

Occasional Visitor
Why there's no product that works as a Powerline Ethernet Adapter with PoE built in?

I would think this could be a killer solution for a bunch of surveillance cameras and APs.

One reason I could think out is price. It's understandable the price could be higher, but hopefully it would not cost so much more right? Because a PoE power adapter is ~$20 and HomePlug AV2000 pair is ~$100, and combined ~$140 for a pair is not that overpriced.

Posted this a bit too hurry - I meant there's no high speed HomePlug, like AV1200 or AV2000. Totally missed this critical point in title. Sorry for the confusion.

HomePlug targests home users who use primarily Wi-Fi connected cameras. Not a big enough market, I'd guess. Would also increase the size of the adaper due to added heat load.

other than what @thiggins mentioned, POE increases cost as there are various standards and wattages. Just compare a 250W POE capable switch vs the same switch without POE and the price difference is big. For 3 ports perhaps 60W of POE and thats still significant in size and cost of the power adapter itself. The powerline itself despite having passthrough operates on DC voltage, it has a PSU inside of it.

Most of the time, there's a lot of cameras required, so you'll need a switch no matter what. And a POE switch is a slight cost increase vs a powerline POE adapter with multiple ports. Probably why it doesn't exist--not enough demand. Plus, you can always get a POE injector if you want for pretty cheap.