What's new

Why subnets have to be different on dual WAN?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

nord_musician

Occasional Visitor
I configured my 1st router to be 192.168.0.1 and my 2nd router 192.168.0.101. I did this so I can access the web congif page of my 2nd router.

Now I'm getting an IP conflict error on my 1st router (68u) and when I check the dual wan status, the 2nd router has no IP addresses, everything is 0.0.0.0. Everything worked before when they were in different subnets. I just want to be able to access my 2nd router config page for troubleshooting purposes and what not.

So why does router 1 care so much about router 2 being in the same subnet?

Because this is routing 101. Basic routing requires subnets to not be overlapping, otherwise a router has no way of knowing where it's supposed to send traffic. You have a packet destined to 192.168.1.10. If both interfaces claim to be the valid destinations for anything in the 192.168.1.0/24 subnet, how can the router tell which of the two destination interfaces is the correct one?