What's new

Wifi backhaul link?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

surroundedbytrees

New Around Here
First post here hopefully someone can point me in the right direction.

I'm trying to connect my network with my buddys. We both have our own ISP connections but rather then using the Internet and our limited data, bandwidth I'd like to establish a wifi link between our houses. This would allow me to move large file (ie movies) over the connection without impacting our internet connectivity/speeds. It would also be nice that if either of our ISP's go down then those affected local devices would simply connect over the wifi link and go out on the others ISP. From what I understand I think I'm trying to create a OLSR Mesh ?.... Currently he's using a Linksys unit running DD-WRT on his side and I have a Ubiquiti Picostation on my side.....currently his house is on the 192.168.2.x subnet and I'm on th 192.168.1.x side

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
No, you're not constructing a mesh network.

First, if you're really surrounded by trees and don't have a clear line-of-sight link between your two homes, wireless isn't going to work. Or if it does, your throughput will be pretty low.

You can achieve a local backhaul network. But the goal of using each other's ISP connection as an auto-failover backup would be quite difficult.

Attachments

• Untitled20120102130940.jpg
    Untitled20120102130940.jpg
    18.5 KB · Views: 259
sorry - - I was looking for a map/photo or some such to get an idea of the extent of clutter in the path

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!