What's new

WiFi upgrade to work with RT-AC68U?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Alex34

New Around Here
Hello all.

Looking for advice for boosting my existing wifi. I have fibre to my home, currently on 360mbps down and 75mbps up. My modem is a fibre modem that runs direct to my Asus RT-AC68U. Most of the data hungry devices are wired throughout the house such as PCs, voip phone, PS5, satellite boxes, AV/stereo system, etc. What I have wireless is our phones, firesticks/chromecast, iPad, a security camera, etc.

My RT-AC68U works ok but not getting good range upstairs in master bedroom. Our house is shaped like an L and the router and master bedroom are on opposite ends of the L. With not spending a load of money, what are my best options to better my range? I was looking at possibly getting another RT-AC68U or possibly an RT-AC86U and running them in Aimesh mode. Both will be wired to the network. Is this solid option or should I look at the new WiFi 6 stuff or other mesh solutions instead?

TIA

Welcome to the forums @Alex34.

Replace your main router with an RT-AC86U, RT-AX88U, or an RT-AX86U to improve your current network throughput. The routers listed are in order of good to best. :)

Be sure it is placed in the ideal 'center' of the area's most needing Wi-Fi coverage. Note that that isn't necessarily the physical/numerical center of those areas for most homes. If you have the option of moving (even slightly) the router and testing for better coverage at the 'fringes', do so.

RMerlin firmware is recommended for the most stable, secure, and feature-rich networking experience along with the highest performance possible.

About | Asuswrt-Merlin

After flashing the newest firmware for your new purchase, be sure to do a full reset to factory defaults. Without using old saved backup config files (particularly not from another router) and without 'blindly' putting in old settings, features, SSID's and scripts that may have worked 'once upon a time'. Use the following link to properly reset the router, depending on the model you choose.

[Wireless] ASUS router Hard Factory Reset | Official Support | ASUS Global

After doing the above WPS Button reset, follow the suggestions in the link below for the best practice defaults to give your new router the best chance to shine.

Fully Reset / Best Practice Setup / More

After fully and thoroughly testing the new router as outlined above, consider adding your RT-AC68U as an AiMesh node then. If, and only if, it is actually needed at that point.

Replace your main router with an RT-AC86U, RT-AX88U, or an RT-AX86U to improve your current network throughput. The routers listed are in order of good to best. :)

Be sure it is placed in the ideal 'center' of the area's most needing Wi-Fi coverage. Note that that isn't necessarily the physical/numerical center of those areas for most homes. If you have the option of moving (even slightly) the router and testing for better coverage at the 'fringes', do so.

RMerlin firmware is recommended for the most stable, secure, and feature-rich networking experience along with the highest performance possible.

About | Asuswrt-Merlin

After flashing the newest firmware for your new purchase, be sure to do a full reset to factory defaults. Without using old saved backup config files (particularly not from another router) and without 'blindly' putting in old settings, features, SSID's and scripts that may have worked 'once upon a time'. Use the following link to properly reset the router, depending on the model you choose.

After doing the above WPS Button reset, follow the suggestions in the link below for the best practice defaults to give your new router the best chance to shine.

After fully and thoroughly testing the new router as outlined above, consider adding your RT-AC68U as an AiMesh node then. If, and only if, it is actually needed at that point.
Thank you so much for the advice!

Will my RT-AC68U work in conjunction with the AX routers via AiMesh?

Thank you so much for the advice!

Will my RT-AC68U work in conjunction with the AX routers via AiMesh?
Yes. But to qualify my answer you will have to use WPA2 and possibly not Dual Band SmartConnect. I have tested AC66U_B1 with AX86U and it worked well.

Thanks. I'm savvy at all when it comes to this stuff, just know the basics so will follow your advice.

About | Asuswrt-Merlin

I know this post is old but I'm only now getting around to purchasing the RT-AX86U.

Based on your instructions, the initial flashing of "newest firmware" is that the newest Merlin firmware or Asus firmware? Am I to install Merlin straight out of the box or do I need to do any Asus updates first?

Thanks.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!