What's new

Will my DHCP static assignments be retained after flashing?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

jd24

New Around Here
Hi there,

I am running my Asus RT-AC86U on stock firmware - 3.0.0.4.386_48260

If I flash it with the latest Merlin will all of my DHCP IP assignments be kept or deleted?
Also, the other general settings - passwords, PPPOE config etc.?

Many thanks

Will it retain the settings? Likely. The question you should be asking is, would it be better to do a hard factory reset and configure Asus-Merlin from scratch to avoid any weird issues that may crop up when moving from stock firmware to Asus Merlin? Most will suggest doing a hard reset if moving from stock to Merlin or other non stock firmware. Further it is generally not recommended to reload saved configuration settings from a different firmware version. It is generally recommended by many to remove any router attached USB hard drive as well when updating the router firmware.

If you haven't done so already see the Asus-Merlin Installation wiki post for general suggestions when installing Asus Merlin:
https://github.com/RMerl/asuswrt-merlin.ng/wiki/Installation

Edit to add: And once running Merlin one can install YazDHCP add-on script that can help preserve reserved client DHCP IP addresses.

Will it retain the settings? Likely. The question you should be asking is, would it be better to do a hard factory reset and configure Asus-Merlin from scratch to avoid any weird issues that may crop up when moving from stock firmware to Asus Merlin? Most will suggest doing a hard reset if moving from stock to Merlin or other non stock firmware. Further it is generally not recommended to reload saved configuration settings from a different firmware version. It is generally recommended by many to remove any router attached USB hard drive as well when updating the router firmware.

If you haven't done so already see the Asus-Merlin Installation wiki post for general suggestions when installing Asus Merlin:
https://github.com/RMerl/asuswrt-merlin.ng/wiki/Installation

Edit to add: And once running Merlin one can install YazDHCP add-on script that helps preserve reserved client DHCP IP addresses.

Thanks.

I was hoping I could avoid doing a factory reset and starting from scratch as it is my main gateway for the house. May well postpone the flash until I have a spare backup router set up. I work from home so if anything goes wrong it would be a nightmare

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!