What's new

Will this MoCA setup work?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

scottyja

Occasional Visitor
I've posted before on other threads about using MoCA for my home. I've drawn up a diagram of what I had in mind, and I'd love to get some feedback on if it will work the way it's diagrammed and how I can make it better.

This is what I have so far:

MoCA.jpg

My main concern is all the diagrams I've seen with MoCA have the main cable line coming into a splitter and then dividing out to the different MoCA devices. In my case, the main cable line is internet only (no CATV), and it comes in directly to office. I only want MoCA to network my 3 main locations.

Any thoughts on how I could improve this?

that 3-way splitter... I believe that a commonplace CATV splitter won't work. The three inputs won't propagate to the other input ports.

I think you have to find a thing called a power divider, and it won't be as common as a splitter.

It was my experience with commonplace splitters - when I tried to take the signal from a TV modulator and feed it into a splitter's output port, hoping it would distribute around the house. Diagrams I found on how to send a modulator's signal showed a two-input thing, a combiner or some such, with multiple outputs, and/or it was a multi-input amplifier/combiner.

But it's easy enough to try. It will work, I think, with the right RF combiner scheme.

here's the idea... inserting an RF signal from a modulator inside a camera. This would be akin to inserting signals from MoCA devices.

http://www.summitsource.com/product_info.php?ref=1&products_id=9099

I may be wrong on all of this - as MoCA is used every day with taps and splitters.

that 3-way splitter... I believe that a commonplace CATV splitter won't work. The three inputs won't propagate to the other input ports.

I think you have to find a thing called a power divider, and it won't be as common as a splitter.

It was my experience with commonplace splitters - when I tried to take the signal from a TV modulator and feed it into a splitter's output port, hoping it would distribute around the house. Diagrams I found on how to send a modulator's signal showed a two-input thing, a combiner or some such, with multiple outputs, and/or it was a multi-input amplifier/combiner.

But it's easy enough to try. It will work, I think, with the right RF combiner scheme.

here's the idea... inserting an RF signal from a modulator inside a camera. This would be akin to inserting signals from MoCA devices.

http://www.summitsource.com/product_info.php?ref=1&products_id=9099

I may be wrong on all of this - as MoCA is used every day with taps and splitters.

Not sure about that...we have a plain vanilla 5-way splitter at our cable entry point to our house, and everything sees everything else for the 3 MoCA adapters that I'm currently using. Each MoCA cable branch is on a different branch off the outside splitter. Might be worth a try.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!