What's new

Wireless doubts with RT-AC56U routers

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

ma7008o

New Around Here
Hello,

I purchased two routers to improve my house net (mainly wifi coverage).

First one, working as a wirelees operation mode, is connected to the IPS divice by cable.

Second one, working as repeater, is connected to the first one by AC.

Both have devices connected by cable and “N” wifi band. Only MAC filter as security, with transmission power set at 100mW. Updated firmware by Asus

In general everything works great, but:

- I can not get them to work in separate channels.
- Wifi coverage is not enough, so I bought another repeater, an Asus RP-N14, and to my surprise this last device has much more and better range. If I put the access point close to the router the range of the access point is much more greater!!! Therefore, I am sure I am doing something wrong.

Could some one help me please???

Repeaters must work on the same channel.

Repeater placement is critical. In general, the repeater should be located closer to the router it is repeating than you would think. Do not place the repeater at the edge of router coverage.

A repeater reduces throughput of the received signal by 50% because a single radio receives then retransmits the signal. So if the repeater is receiving a weak signal, with, say 10 Mbps of throughput, the most you will get from the repeated signal is 5 Mbps.

Thanks for your response.

What really bothers me is that the RP-N14 has much greater coverage that any of the RT-AC56U.

Any ideas on this issue?

How are your 2.4 link rates when not using the repeater? both at close range and far away?

AC56u has a known issue (for some users) where the signal is great but the link rate is crappy (less than 5 mbps) when at range. If you have this issue I would just return the router and get a different model altogether.

Link rates are not the issue, they are fine.

Problem is that coverage is not as great as I expected. In fact, very low in some areas of my house.

To solve it it bought a repeater, and this repeater has much grater coverage than the routers them selves....., much more.

So I assume I am having some problem with the routers signal.

Some thing I tried: put the repeater side by side one of the routers and read signal with wifi analyzer: RP-N14 is the winner, big difference!!!!