What's new

"Wireless Log" doesn't show AiMesh node connections

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

WhiteZero

Occasional Visitor
I just setup my AX86U and AC86U with Firmware 386.1_2 in my first AiMesh setup, AC86U as the node via Ethernet backhaul. But I noticed that any wireless clients on the AC86U node don't show up in the Wireless Log page on the main router. And from what I can tell with AiMesh, I can't access the web interface on the node directly, it just forwards me back to the main router.

Is this a known missing feature?

I hadn't noticed this, but my Wireless Log page displays the same way as you describe. (Two RT-AC68U's in my network).

And trying to access the AiMesh GUI directly does automatically return to the Router GUI. I'm pretty sure they designed AiMesh to return back in this manner.

Look under AiMesh/Topology then click on the node. You can see wired and wireless clients connected.

Look under AiMesh/Topology then click on the node. You can see wired and wireless clients connected.
Yes, but thats not what I'm looking for. The Wireless Log screen in Merlin displays lots of useful statistics about client's Wifi signal and capabilities. The AiMesh screens don't show this.

I have the same setup as you and have noticed the same as well. There seems to be no way to see the connection speeds of devices on the nodes other that wired/5g/2.4g.
In the ios/andoid app, you can see the signal strength.
You can also ssh to your node using the same login/password as the main so maybe you can see the client connections using the CLI but I haven't tried it.

I have the same setup as you and have noticed the same as well. There seems to be no way to see the connection speeds of devices on the nodes other that wired/5g/2.4g.
In the ios/andoid app, you can see the signal strength.
You can also ssh to your node using the same login/password as the main so maybe you can see the client connections using the CLI but I haven't tried it.
I doubt, you can SSH into the node, without enabling the SSH option. And there is no way to enable the SSH option in the AiMesh node as the UI always redirects to the main router.

I doubt, you can SSH into the node, without enabling the SSH option. And there is no way to enable the SSH option in the AiMesh node as the UI always redirects to the main router.
IIRC if you can SSH onto the main router then you can also SSH onto any AiMesh node (same port, username and password). Certainly works for me on my setup.

As for how you would see the data you want via cli - no idea:confused:

IIRC if you can SSH onto the main router then you can also SSH onto any AiMesh node (same port, username and password). Certainly works for me on my setup.

As for how you would see the data you want via cli - no idea:confused:
Yes, you can SSH into an AiMesh node via its IP address as long as your primary router has SSH enabled. The latest log can be found at /tmp/syslog.log

Thanks for pointing to this workaround of SSH into AiMesh node using it's IP address. I am looking for an option to configure the WiFi Control channel on the AiMesh Node via SSH. Is there any SSH command line option to change the WiFi Control chanell from Auto -> specific Channel number for both 2.4 & 5Ghz?

Thanks for pointing to this workaround of SSH into AiMesh node using it's IP address. I am looking for an option to configure the WiFi Control channel on the AiMesh Node via SSH. Is there any SSH command line option to change the WiFi Control chanell from Auto -> specific Channel number for both 2.4 & 5Ghz?
There may be a way to do it but I wouldn't recommend changing it because it will probably break the connection to the mesh. Your nodes will always use the same channel as your primary router so if you need to change channels, change them on your primary router and your nodes will follow.

There may be a way to do it but I wouldn't recommend changing it because it will probably break the connection to the mesh. Your nodes will always use the same channel as your primary router so if you need to change channels, change them on your primary router and your nodes will follow.
Using the Ethernet backhaul method, this is not the case. When I set the Channel selection to manual in Primary router, it is not getting reflected in AiMesh node. And I have posted this as feature request to Merlin & Asus to get this implemented.
So, in the meantime, I am looking for alternatives, if I can set the Channel in AiMesh node manually.

Using the Ethernet backhaul method, this is not the case. When I set the Channel selection to manual in Primary router, it is not getting reflected in AiMesh node. And I have posted this as feature request to Merlin & Asus to get this implemented.
So, in the meantime, I am looking for alternatives, if I can set the Channel in AiMesh node manually.
You can try the instructions in the following post but I have a feeling AiMesh is going to overwrite whatever you set:

Maybe you would be better served to use AP mode since you're already using a wired backhaul.

The wireless log has worked this way regarding not showing node devices all the way back to when Merlin first added AiMesh to his builds. As you can switch between Asus and Merlin AiMesh supported firmware, I assume the wireless log is working per Asus’ design.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!