What's new

wireless n card for desktop

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

bigperm

New Around Here
Hi guys, bare with me...somewhat of a beginner here.

Got a new PC...motherboard MSI MS-7613. It has 1 PCI Express x16, 3 PCI Express x1, and 1 PCI Express x1 minicard slots.

The N routers are a bit expensive in my eyes right now. Ultimately I would like to go simulataneous dual-band, but for now, I'm going to stick with my g router and pick up an N card. Later on, when N router prices come down, I'll just swap my router and not worry about getting a new card at that time.

For the N card, I'd want dual band support and 3 antennae. I saw the Intel 5300, but to be honest, I have no idea how these mini-cards work. Would this card fit into my PCI-e minicard slot? Can you even install this card in a desktop...I only see people talking about them with laptops? For the life of me, I've been unable to find a basic PCI-e wireless N card with 3 antenna and dual band support. Even USB don't have 3 antennae, right?

If I can install the 5300, how would I install the antennae? I'd imagine there's no antennae already in the desktop like there is in a laptop, so I'd have to buy some right? Which antenna is the best to buy for something like this, and how do you attach it? Is soldering required? Not really interested in that much effort. Also, do you have to run the antenna out of the back of the desktop? Where is the exit out of the desktop to do that?

Any help, specific instructions, and links (for instance, to buy antenna) you could provide would be great. If you have a suggestion other than the 5300, that would be great too. PCI-e would be the most ideal but like I said, I just haven't found what I'm looking for in that.

Thanks in advance.

Unless you have a slot on your motherboard that accepts the 5300's form factor, you can't use it. They're really meant for portable device use, not desktop.

There are no desktop three-stream (450 Mbps max link rate) N adapters available right now. Three antennas does not necessarily equal three-stream, by the way. Many Cardbus N adapters have three antennas, but they are only two stream (300 Mbps max link rate). The third antenna is used for receive only.

I guess that's part of my question. Does the 5300 fit into a PCI-e minicard slot?...my desktop motherboard does have one. And if so, which antennae would I have to buy reach the 450 Mbps, and how would I hook it up and run it outside of the desktop? I agree....doesn't seem appropriate for desktop use, but I can't believe that nobody makes a regular PCI express card that supports 3 streams.

What would you recommend at this point? Oddly, I don't see any G PCI-e cards either? Is there a reason why PCI-e x1 is not being used for wireless cards? Would you go for a USB G or N adapter at this point? Any recommendations?

I just don't see why nobody sells a 3 stream adapter when N has that capability. I can't be the 1st person interested in a 3-stream, dual band, PCI-e x1 card, am I?

The photo I found of your mobo does appear to support a half-height PCI-e minicard.

You'd need three dual-band antennas that support 2.4 and 5 GHz frequency bands.
But you'd need "pigtail" connectors to connect from the "U.fl" connector on the board to whichever connector is on the antennas you get (probably RP-SMA).

But before you go through the hassle, realize there are no three-stream routers at this point. Perhaps later this year, but not now.

For a desktop, the best way to go is either USB adapter or an Ethernet bridge like the Linksys Wireless-N Ethernet Bridge with Dual-Band (WET610N).
These will provide better flexibility for placement for best signal.

Well, that's an interesting doohickey! Thanks!

I wasn't aware of its existence until a similar one was linked on the TR forums. It's unfortunate that an adapter is possibly the best answer to desktop wireless. I'd like to see bridges take the place of USB and internal adapters, but I don't think that'll happen anytime soon.

OP:
If you shop around, you can find that adapter bundled with the 5300 and/or dual-band antennas. Not all of them ship with full-size brackets, so pay attention to the specs.

I'd like to see bridges take the place of USB and internal adapters, but I don't think that'll happen anytime soon.
Actually, I expect that the first three-stream N client devices (aside from the Intel 5300 and 6300) will be bridges. At least those based on the Atheros three-stream device. No USB version.

Actually, I expect that the first three-stream N client devices (aside from the Intel 5300 and 6300) will be bridges. At least those based on the Atheros three-stream device. No USB version.

I predict the usual suspects will pump out reference/clones in short order though, maybe even "beat" the whitebox to market.