What's new

Wireless Setup Advice

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Xisdibik

New Around Here
Hello everyone,

I have checked these forums for a long time but decided to register to post my question since this seems to be the best place for network advice.

I live in a somewhat small 2 bedroom apartment in Japan (big for Japan's standards, small for the rest of the world). I currently use the basic NTT Wireless Modem for my internet. I have a 1GBPS connection and the modem has built in 802.11AC + 2 different N radios (with some sort of expansion card on the modem). I believe the card is 2.4ghz while the machine has built in 5ghz, or vice versa.

I host some games and what not, and expect to be buying a NAS within the next 3-6 months after I save up some more money. Currently the setup is that 1 of the LAN ports goes to a wall jack and there is a wall jack in the "office" room that goes to my desktop PC. 2nd LAN port goes to my mac mini that I use as a server. 3rd LAN port goes to my PS3 and LAN port 4 is currently unused.

I use WIFI for my 3DS, PSVita, IPhone 6+, Ipad Air 2, and for when friends come to visit and want to connect into the system (though a router with a guest network would be great).

The NTT modem has an interface that is a bit cumbersome to navigate as well as being completely in Japanese. My speaking has improved a lot while I have been here but my reading and writing are still pretty poor. I was thinking of buying a router with an English UI to connect in and use for wifi/routing instead of the one they supplied.

I want to know what would be the best way to do this, the most secure way to do this, and also if there would be any option that removes the NTT modem from the equation. The NTT modem is connected to the internet via a fiber cable from the wall.

In addition to this, I would welcome recommendations for a wifi router to use instead of the NTT router. Since I plan to add the NAS in later (as well as an apple TV) I would either need a router with enough ports (6-8) or a 4 port wifi router with a switch added in to get more ports. I don't mind paying for quality, but I would say my budget is not endless, but couple hundred is acceptable (cheaper is better).

If you need any more details then please go ahead and ask me and I will reply as soon as I can.

Thanks very much,

Xisdibik

Hajimemashite

You're probably ok with what NTT offers on their GW... one isn't going to do better than what they offer..

Consumer routes still struggle to max out a gigabit internet connection. For symmetrical gigabit you need 2 Gb/s forwarding capacity (1 Gb/s down and 1 Gb/s up) and there isnt yet a consumer router that has achieved it with hardware NAT.

Non-consumer variants however achieve much better throughput and some have SFP that let you use fibre optics. It is more expansive to use a non consumer setup but you do get better value for your money from the features and performance and compared to a house that uses a seperate router and modem you could use SFP for fibre optics and have it all on one device which does reduce power use.

Wired routers can have more ports but wifi routers either have 1 or 2 ports or 5 max.

Hi

In my opinion you can use the fibre optic technology. Fibre Optic Broadband can give you a connection with download speeds up to 76Mbps and good upload speeds. With these connection speeds you are more likely to encounter a slowdown in performance caused by the limitations of the network at your home or business, which can make you feel as though you aren’t getting as fast a speed as your connection is capable of.
To get more information, you can visit http://www.andcorp.com.au/