What's new

With telnet removed how do I SSH on a Mac?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

MatrixGeeker

Regular Contributor
I have a Mac and Im wondering since telnte has been removed, how do i SSH into my asus 68u router?

I have like cyberduck and transmit software installed as well that I think allows SSH..

Right now I used terminal and did a SSH to my router ip address and this is what I got also I do not have a Authorized Keys in the Asus SSH settings. Do I put something in the blank box?:

@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@

@ WARNING: REMOTE HOST IDENTIFICATION HAS CHANGED! @

@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@

IT IS POSSIBLE THAT SOMEONE IS DOING SOMETHING NASTY!

Someone could be eavesdropping on you right now (man-in-the-middle attack)!

It is also possible that a host key has just been changed.

The fingerprint for the ECDSA key sent by the remote host is

SHA256:xxxxxxxxx (removed for privacy).

Please contact your system administrator.

Add correct host key in /Users/xxxx/.ssh/known_hosts to get rid of this message.

Offending ECDSA key in /Users/xxxxx/.ssh/known_hosts:1

ECDSA host key for 192.168.xxxxx . has changed and you have requested strict checking.

Host key verification failed.

Mac:~ xxxxxx

Last edited:
Just delete the host key 1. You should be able to login using SSH just fine.

Add correct host key in /Users/xxxx/.ssh/known_hosts to get rid of this message.
no, on PC, in windows you would have to delete c:\users\[youruser]\.ssh\known_hosts file.
Dont know where on Mac but seams to be similary.

You posted the answer in your question, delete this file!

Thats the way it works for me ... get it after firmware updates.

no, on PC, in windows you would have to delete c:\users\[youruser]\.ssh\known_hosts file.
Dont know where on Mac but seams to be similary.

You posted the answer in your question, delete this file!

Thats the way it works for me ... get it after firmware updates.

So do I delete that file? I posted a update right above here

Nevermind I got it. I had to put my username in and not "admin" as that was not my router username

now do the normal ssh command
Code:
ssh admin@192.168.2.1

Thank You ! That worked and now its asking me for a password. Do i input my router password? Its a long password and I tried to copy and paste it but I keep getting a permission denied message. And when i type it doesn't show on the screen. Is there a way i can see what I'm typing?

Code:
admin@192.168.2.1's password:
Permission denied, please try again.

Last edited:
Nevermind I got it. I had to put my username in and not "admin" as that was not my router username

Thank You ! That worked and now its asking me for a password. Do i input my router password? Its a long password and I tried to copy and paste it but I keep getting a permission denied message. And when i type it doesn't show on the screen. Is there a way i can see what I'm typing?

Code:

Can you login to web UI? Try changing it to something shorter, like 16 chars. I think the firmware truncates it without telling the user. Stupid I know but it’s already a known issue from another thread.

SSH does not echo back the characters by design.

Code:

- Yes, you need to enter your router's password associated with the account you are using (i.e. admin).

Also, *if* you enabled key-based authentication for SSH in the router, you will need to login to UI and copy the new key. Once you do that, go to your home directory on the mac and type "nano ./ssh/known_hosts". This will start an editor and will allow you to add the new key.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!