What's new

WRT54G Died, Looking for a new router

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

lintis008

New Around Here
After about 5 years with my WRT54G, it finally died. I needed the internet at the time so I went to radioshack and bought Linksys WRT160NL thinking, linksys is amazing. This thing has given me nothing but troubles. At least 2-5 times a day, the connection randomly drops forcing me to unplug both the router and modem. Ive tried updating the firmware and trying custom firmware, and tweaking the settings but still no luck.

Heres my network listings:

Wired:
Basement computer
xbox 360
Upstairs gaming computer
Wireless:
1x Dell Laptop
2x HP laptops
1x netbook
Wii

I am thinking about getting the D-Link DIR-655, but don't want to write anything in stone since my last choice was such a bad one.

What is the price range that you are looking for? I just had my WRT54G die after almost 7yrs of faithful service. I ended up in the same situation and picked up a Cisco Linksys E2000 from Target for $100. I have not had any issues with it and seems to be working great. Setup was very easy (I didn't use the included disc) and was able to get everything running within about 10 minutes.

Which connection drops? Wireless client? Router WAN connection?
It's best to understand what the nature of the failure is before trying a fix.

But if you want to shotgun it, just try a different brand router, not another Linksys.
The codebase for routers using the same chipset family (Broadcom in this case) from the same vendor tends to be similar and could have the same problem if there is just some incompatibility between your modem and router.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!