What's new

XT8 Nonoverlapping channels for separate APs

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

childersa

Occasional Visitor
Mandatory: I've searched both this forum and others, and surprisingly can't find an answer so here goes:

I have two XT8s in AP mode. However, I cannot for the life of me figure out how to set them on different channels. One of the nodes appears to be the "master" so when I login using the other APs IP it redirects me back to the IP for the "master" AP. When I select a channel on the master AP, the other AP follows and they both end up on the same channels. Is there a way to set different channels on each AP so that they aren't overlaping?

Are you sure both devices are configured as simple APs and not APs in an AiMesh? A brief look at the user manual suggests that AP mode (Administration - Operation Mode) is possible, just like on other Asus routers. Presumably you have another device on your network acting as a router.

As far as I know… yes. The settings show that they are in AP mode. The only device handing out IPs is my router (an AT&T modem/router).

if I attempt to navigate to either XT8 they both send me to the same IP for the downstairs (master) AP, and any change to that one device causes both to switch to the same channels. Not sure if there is a different setting or maybe it’s just not possible.

Both devices are connected via Ethernet to the router

if I attempt to navigate to either XT8 they both send me to the same IP for the downstairs (master) AP

This is AiMesh behavior. What is your AiMesh page in GUI showing on the router downstairs?

Okay…. I think you both are correct. Here is what my setting was. I stopped reading after “Access Point”

a picture is attached.

Attachments

• 99E24643-29D4-4E58-8A57-222EF880A79F.jpeg
    99E24643-29D4-4E58-8A57-222EF880A79F.jpeg
    78.5 KB · Views: 80
Which option should I select for just a simple AP?

Your selection is correct. Are you calling the AP directly by the IP address?

Yes. So the downstairs is 192.168.1.85 and upstairs .63

mid I navigate to .63 it then goes to .85 and opens up the settings page. The settings shows the .85 router as “parent” AiMesh.

This is what I would try:

- Disconnect the node from the main router AiMesh GUI page (the node will reset back to default)
- Disconnect it physically from the first router
- Power up the second router and set it up in AP Mode with static IP
- Power off the second router, connect it to the first, power it back on

See what happens.

Thanks for the help, but it seems to just re-associate the node. Again when going to .63 it connects to .85. the first time it said “searching for AiMesh Router” then sent me to .85.

I’m assuming I cant change .63’s channels from the GUI that comes up on .85.

This is strange. The next thing I would try is to reset both routers, setup one only as router and then the other as AP without touching anything AiMesh on the first router. If the same thing happens again, perhaps Asus decided to play too smart when Asus routers of the same type see each other.

Yeah, I've run into this too. Did you buy these units as a set? With my XT8s, I have found that after factory-resetting one, whichever other one is already alive will auto-absorb the newly booted one into an AIMesh network. (I sure hope this only happens with units paired at the factory, because otherwise it'd be a security nightmare.)

The process I've found to work if I don't want that is:

1. Reset unit 1, boot it up, connect to it over wireless and configure it as you wish.
2. Turn off unit 1.
3. Reset unit 2, boot it up, connect to it over wireless and configure it as you wish.
4. Turn on unit 1.

Yes, these were bought as a pair. Originally had them set up as a mesh with wired backhaul and one serving as a router. I moved some things in my house and wanted to switch to APs then realized they were both in the same channel and likely causing interference.
I’ll go through these steps today and hopefully get it fixed!

Thanks tgl! This worked and both are running independently. I’ve went from 650-700 Mbps to 700-750 Mbps (at about 15 feet) on average after changing channels so my two APs don’t interfere.

This worked and both are running independently.

A little inconvenience resetting both routers. Seems like Asus doesn't expect users smarter than AiMesh. Good job!

I’ve went from 650-700 Mbps to 700-750 Mbps

You have better than this aggregate throughput using more available bandwidth. It can be up to 2x times higher compared to AiMesh.

Yeah, with wired I can get 920ish up and down WAN, when wired I can get about 2.35gbe over LAN with iPerf and transfers (around 275MB/s file transfer from to windows) but with wireless even with iPerf I can’t get over a gig (I’m set up for 2.5gbe). I can get about 900mb/s with iPerf wirelessly on the LAN.
I was hoping that by switching to APs and changing channels I could get over a gig wirelessly with my laptop but maybe AX can’t do that? I have the AX210 wireless module which I believe is 3x3 or 4x4.

I was hoping that by switching to APs and changing channels I could get over a gig wirelessly with my laptop but maybe AX can’t do that? I have the AX210 wireless module which I believe is 3x3 or 4x4.
You should be able to do that with a 4x4 connection ... but IIRC, the XT8's 5GHz-1 radio is only 2x2. Its 5GHz-2 radio is 4x4, so if you are not using that for backhaul you could open it up to client connections and see what you get.

Yeah, with wired I can get 920ish up and down WAN

Higher aggregate throughput is to more than one client at the same time. You can have 2x wireless clients doing >500Mbps transfers for combined >1Gbps over Wi-Fi. If you prefer faster LAN, keep the 2.5GbE backhaul. If you upgrade your ISP to >Gigabit and you prefer faster Internet, move your WAN to the 2.5GbE port and use Gigabit backhaul. You have options.

Thanks guys. Right now I have both APs connected to a 2.5 switch using the 2.5 gb lan port. But wirelessly can't get over 1gb.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!