What's new

XT8 Optimal settings?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Grayson73

Occasional Visitor
I'm currently using the default settings for the XT8. Is there anything I should change for better performance?

Thanks in advance.

What are your ISP speeds? How close are you to getting them consistently?

Don't change settings needlessly.

Give as much detail as possible about your network infrastructure, the setup (physical and logical) and the types and number of clients connected via wired, and each band on the wireless.

Thanks,

I'm on a 400/400 Verizon FIOS plan.

WiFi: 359/221 standing next to the router and 269/122 standing next to the node.
Wired: 494/513 to the router.

Grayson

So the router isn't an issue (at least when wired).

What device(s) are you using to test with? Standing 'next to the router' isn't going to give you the fastest speeds. Test at least from 10' and further. Ideally, 20' to 30' (line of sight) is best.

Can you use a laptop that is plugged into an AC wall outlet running in Performance mode to see if the speeds are better?

Can a friend bring one of theirs to test this with?

I'm assuming/suspecting that the handheld devices you're using aren't enough hardware for the speeds your network is capable of.

So the router isn't an issue (at least when wired).

What device(s) are you using to test with? Standing 'next to the router' isn't going to give you the fastest speeds. Test at least from 10' and further. Ideally, 20' to 30' (line of sight) is best.

Can you use a laptop that is plugged into an AC wall outlet running in Performance mode to see if the speeds are better?

Can a friend bring one of theirs to test this with?

I'm assuming/suspecting that the handheld devices you're using aren't enough hardware for the speeds your network is capable of.
I'm testing with my phone. Previously with Xfinity, I was on a 600/20 plan and got 579/17.7 from my phone. However, I had to factory reset my XT8 and don't remember what changes I made. I'll have to read some old threads haha.

I've tried various things and can't get my WiFi speed to be the same as wired. Wired is 486/368 and WiFi is 350/222. Will switching to Asuswrt-Merlin be better?

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!