What's new

XT8 using 2.4ghz as backhaul even though worse than 5ghz

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

carbocation

New Around Here
I've just picked up a pair of XT8s and have updated them to the latest firmware (3.0.0.4.386_25790). I was surprised to find that my devices were using the 2.4GHz band as the backhaul - with a 1/3 bar connection. I rebooted and they were once again connected with a 3/3 bar connection on the 5GHz-2 dedicated backhaul line. I then rebooted the routers again, and they were once again connected with a poor 1/3 bar 2.4GHz backhaul connection.

Is there a way to force these devices not to use 2.4GHz as backhaul? If not, are there settings I can tweak to reduce the likelihood they will revert to 2.4GHz as the backhaul?

Maybe your distance between both router and nodes too far

They’re about 15 feet apart. But what I don’t understand is why 2.4ghz is chosen when the dedicated 5ghz has - by the device’s own metrics - a better connection.

Mine is doing exactly the same. I have even moved the two units directly next to one another and regardless after a restart the 5 GHz backhaul drops After a few minute seven though it reports as excellent for the duration that it’s connected and is replaced by a weak signal alert and the backhaul flips the uplink To the 2.4 GHz channel and never returns. I have no idea what to do but any devices connected to the node get noticeably less trooper. I have tried factory resets and configure from blank and nothing makes any difference

Mine is doing exactly the same. I have even moved the two units directly next to one another and regardless after a restart the 5 GHz backhaul drops After a few minute seven though it reports as excellent for the duration that it’s connected and is replaced by a weak signal alert and the backhaul flips the uplink To the 2.4 GHz channel and never returns. I have no idea what to do but any devices connected to the node get noticeably less trooper. I have tried factory resets and configure from blank and nothing makes any difference
It makes even less sense the signal quality is reported as -12 RSI on the 2.4 GHz channel (reported as weak) and -45 RSI on the 5 GHz channel (reported is excellent)

Hi, What firmware did you use right now?

Ok. I suggest you @morkjt upgrade to latest beta 41994 and perform factory reset if possible.

When I'm using that official non beta firmware with AX86U as main, one of XT8 keep reconnecting after 2 days connected to main AX86U.

After I update both of them to 41994, that issue doesn't occur anymore.

You can see below the connected time just about 200 hours without disconnect.

DSC_05082.jpg

Thanks. I've tried this, doesn't appear to make any difference. Still says backhaul uplink is 2.4ghz only and 1/3 bars in strength (1m away). How do I get the above view you're sharing, I can't find that.

Thanks. I've tried this, doesn't appear to make any difference. Still says backhaul uplink is 2.4ghz only and 1/3 bars in strength (1m away). How do I get the above view you're sharing, I can't find that.
Have you factory reset and resetup all from scratch? That view is from Asus Merlin firmware. I'm using AX86U as main.

I rebooted after the firmware upgrade holding the WPS button and then did a clean install - is that the right thing?

I rebooted after the firmware upgrade holding the WPS button and then did a clean install - is that the right thing?
Did you do it to both of them or just the main?

Yes. both. As ever, I could not get the node to add with the app as with the original install (I have not been able to since the very first time) - but adding an ethernet cable from router to node's wan port enabled it to add into the mesh - but once the cable is disconnected - backhaul is 2.4g 1/3.

Its really weird - I'm not even convinced the 5ghz-2 network is running. I can login to both units via ssh and find the interface has 0 for all stats. Using netspot on an ax equipped Mac, I cannot see any evidence of the 5ghz-2 channel - I have it manually set to channel 100 and set to "not hide" its ssid - but there is nothing to see and no evidence it even exists (maybe this is why it will not add it as a mesh node without ethernet backhaul)

If anyone can make anything of this, here is the wireless log of the entry for dedicated wireless backhaul - which indicates all is "fine"...can't see it though (and it is set to not be hidden):

SSID: "agFt Hyperoptic 1Gb Fibre 5G_dwb"
noise: 0 dBm Channel: 100/160
BSSID: F0:2F:74:27:46:D8 Capability: ESS RRM
Supported Rates: [ 6(b) 9 12(b) 18 24(b) 36 48 54 ]
HE Capable:
Chanspec: 5GHz channel 114 160MHz (0xe872)
Primary channel: 100
HT Capabilities: 40Mhz SGI20 SGI40
Supported HT MCS : 0-31
Supported VHT MCS:
NSS1 Tx: 0-11 Rx: 0-11
NSS2 Tx: 0-11 Rx: 0-11
NSS3 Tx: 0-11 Rx: 0-11
NSS4 Tx: 0-11 Rx: 0-11
Supported HE MCS:
80 Mhz:
160 Mhz:

Interference Level: Acceptable
Mode : AP Only

DFS status: state In-Service Monitoring(ISM) time elapsed 73800ms radar channel cleared by DFS channel 100/160 (0xE872)

Channel Information
----------------------------------------
Channel 100 A Band, RADAR Sensitive
Channel 104 A Band, RADAR Sensitive
Channel 108 A Band, RADAR Sensitive
Channel 112 A Band, RADAR Sensitive
Channel 116 A Band, RADAR Sensitive
Channel 120 A Band, RADAR Sensitive
Channel 124 A Band, RADAR Sensitive
Channel 128 A Band, RADAR Sensitive
Channel 132 A Band, RADAR Sensitive, Passive
Channel 136 A Band, RADAR Sensitive, Passive
Channel 140 A Band, RADAR Sensitive, Passive

Stations List
----------------------------------------
idx MAC Associated Authorized RSSI PHY PSM SGI STBC MUBF NSS BW Tx rate Rx rate

I think it is better to setup using Web browser.

You can reset both router at Aimesh section -> System reset to factory default

Update : XT8 if setup from scratch, it will automatically detect both in Aimesh. No need to manual add.

DSC_05084.jpg

I think it is better to setup using Web browser.

You can reset both router at Aimesh section -> System reset to factory default

Update : XT8 if setup from scratch, it will automatically detect both in Aimesh. No need to manual add.

View attachment 31684

Yes - ok, I can try via the web; Asus's own website said the hold the WPS button is the ultimate factory reset.

The reason I wonder if a unit is faulty - it absolutely refuses to add the two together from scratch - the node just endlessly flashes blue/glows green - have left it for over an hour before, 1m distance, and it never adds - only by adding an ethernet backhaul does it add in.

So as a followup, more in miserable desperation rather than hoping anyone might have any ideas.

The backhaul network is simply not there. Its not running. On either side. Ive set it to unhidden - no ax enabled client can see it - I've turned off wifi 6 and ax to see if other clients can see it - nada. I've tried joining it from a wifi 6 device just using the network name and password. I've tried resetting it to zero password open network. The system executes everything but there is no network ever visible and 2.4ghz is used as backhaul.

I've logged into the node to check the backhaul settings in the nvram if that gives any hints that anyone can tell from:

admin@ZenWiFi_XT8-46F0:/tmp/home/root# nvram show | grep dwb

size: 88640 bytes (42432 left)

dwb_band=2

dwb_guest_index=1

dwb_mode=1

dwb_wlc2_auth_mode_x=psk2

dwb_wlc2_closed=0

dwb_wlc2_crypto=aes

dwb_wlc2_key=1

dwb_wlc2_ssid=ASUSS_dwb

dwb_wlc2_wep_x=0

dwb_wlc2_wpa_psk=[redacted]

wl2.1_ssid=ASUSS_dwb

wl2_ssid=ASUSS_dwb

wlc2_ssid=ASUSS_dwb

wsbh_ssid=ASUSS_dwb

wlc2_auth_mode=psk2

wlc2_auth_mode_x=psk2

wlc2_closed=0

wlc2_crypto=aes

wlc2_key=1

wlc2_key1=

wlc2_key2=

wlc2_key3=

wlc2_key4=

wlc2_macmode=disabled

wlc2_mbss=

wlc2_radius_ipaddr=

wlc2_radius_key=

wlc2_radius_port=1812

wlc2_ssid=ASUSS_dwb

wlc2_status=1

wlc2_wep=0

wlc2_wep_key=

wlc2_wep_x=0

I don't see anything wrong with that ssh value except you want to show the backhaul to public. Can you show below page?

DSC_05093.jpg

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!