What's new

ZenWifi XT8 - Issue with Wifi6 Connectivity ..maybe

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

goldbondx

Occasional Visitor
Was excited to purchase both the ZenWifi XT8 and OKN WiFi 6 AX200 802.11ax WiFi Card 2400Mbps 5GHz and 574Mbps 2.4GHz Wireless Module to try and boost connectivity on a Alienware Aurora R8 Desktop.

The router is connected by wired backhaul to the 2nd unit and spread over a 4000 ft home pretty evenly. I have 2x Asus Lyra Trio that are hitting a few weak spots that are connected by aimesh as well. Connectivity on mobile phones and physically connected pc's were at least double Orbi without tweaking. Example: My desktop on Orbi was 200 mb at best. It was pinning at 600 mb tonight in a test..

I ripped out the old Dell supplied Killer ac in the Aurora and put in the OKN adapter. Setup was easy and drivers downloaded automatically with a temp physical connection. Repositioned the PC back to the room and connected via wifi...what a disappointment. Connection speeds were almost exactly the same as the Killer and the wifi connection was weaker. (4 bars) Google test was erratic at best with speeds capping at 250 but sometimes 5 mb. download.

Things I have tried based on searching the forums here and elsewhere:
- I completely disabled QOS (after initially having on)
- AIProtect is disabled (after initially having on)
- DDOS disabled (default)
- Disconnected closest Lyra in the event there was some hopping. That said, the room in question is about 1/2 exactly between the base and satellite Zenwifi.
-I confirmed that the wifi properties for the card was ax...eventually switched from ac.

Provider is Xfinity and I have 600 mb connection.

Any other suggestions to try? Would be good to know if I am doing something wrong with ax compatibility, setup or options. I haven't used Asus in over 6 years and struggling to get back in the groove.

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!