What's new

ZyXel DCS (dynamic channel selection) and DFS

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Weaver

New Around Here
My ZyXel NWA3560-N WAP has an optional feature that it terms DCS (dynamic channel selection) which is supposed to change the channels in use periodically in order to find the ones with the lowest interference. It appears as if this applies to both 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz radios, and is either on or off.

There is also an on/off setting relating to DFS, so I presume this is 5GHz only, but I don't know what it does - it could turn off DFS, or allow it to change channels to those below channel 52 or search for any clear channel, I've no idea.

Anyway. With the DCS option switched on, I'm seeing 5GHz radios changing channel every so often, sometimes immediately the moment they have booted (which takes an age, btw). I've once seen a crazy situation where a WAP set both of its two radios to the same 5GHz channel (44+48 bonded).

Is it normal to see 5GHz channels changing a lot like this straight away? Could I be getting interference from radar. They are ending up changing to somewhere around channel 40, but this is not always true, one radio changed to channel 132 from a configured initial channel 100 for example.