What's new

[Release] Asuswrt-Merlin 380.61 is now available

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

I just tried flashing this update onto an RT-AC66U and it came up with the following error message:
"Firmware upgrade unsuccessful......incorrect image or error transmission. Please check version of firmware and try again."

I have already installed this version on another RT-AC66U over 380.59 without issue. No factory reset either. However, on the this second RT-AC66U, I tried flashing over 380.58 and got the error message, so upgraded to 380.59 without any issues at all. Then tried again with 380.61 and received the same error message. I have tried 2 different downloads of the trx file and verified them both with sha256sum. I also tried it with USB drive unmounted, but no change.

My reason for upgrading is that we were having minidlna issues and this update had stability improvements mentioned in the changelog.

Can anyone suggest why I'm having this problem? I'm reluctant to use the firmware flash utility as the user is remote and not skilled at following phone directions at this level. Any other solutions to upgrade successfully?

Hi All
I have a question. Who can build new version FW from latest GitHub Merlin and share it this ? I need for model RT-AC88U. Very thanks

Does the Roaming Assist-feature work as well in Merlin-firmware? If so, that I gonna buy the RP-AC68u as well.
Will place that one on the second-floor in Acces Point Mode. Connected to my switch there (with cable on the port-1).
If I enable Roaming-Assist on both devices they would start working together. Wi-fi clients will switch when in range of either the ac88u or 68u (AP).
Also the 68u (AP) will function on the same SSID's as the router.

I prefer the AP-mode because then you don't have a 50% split in bandwidth like in the Repeater mode. Repeater-mode is really bad since it will split the bandwidth between 2,4GHZ and 5GHZ (One Band only).

Sadly they don't have a good guide on their Asus-website at all for the device.
But probably I have to connect the 68u first to my laptop. Then put it in AP-mode, give it a IP-adress and enable Roaming-Assist. In the router-settings I will enable Roaming Assist afterwards. Then I disconnect the 68u from my laptop and connect it with port-1 cable to my netgear switch. Guess it should function then.

I'm sure I did that on an RT-AC66U and it still wouldn't accept the update to 380.61, and on another RT-AC66U it updated even with the usb hard drive still mounted! Go figure.....
Could be depending on how the USB drive is being used. I only use it to store the logs.

Could be depending on how the USB drive is being used. I only use it to store the logs.
On both routers the USB drives are used as general network storage - files, media for minidlna etc. Basically, copies of local hard drives on PC's accessible to all on the network

Unmount USB drive also works :)
It's all about freeing memory.....unmounting the drive won't immediately free all allocated buffers. The buffer use can change depending on how the drive was recently being used.

If you are having problems loading firmware, make the router as 'idle' as possible, power down, unplug any usb drives, power up.....wait 5 minutes.....then load firmware.

Sorry if this has been asked before, but I looked at the Wiki and the last few pages and couldn't get a clear answer.

Can I upgrade directly from 378.56_2 to the newest version?

And if so, do I have to reset to defaults, first?

For the strangest reason, my 88u running this version only shows the 2.4 band to support b,g not n. No speeds of any client rise above 72mbps except for by rp68u. This band advertisement of b,g still appears when I have "N only" set, or the smart connect rules enabled.

I have no b,g clients.

I finally bit the bullet and upgraded my RT-AC68P to 380.61. I had pretty much the same exact experience that I did with 380.61 b2, but it eventually went away. I'm not sure why nobody else seems to have these issues.

Upgraded from 380.59 through the gui. Everything went smoothly. Did a factory reset after the upgrade and then just like with beta 2, it took multiple attempts at restarting the cable modem to get the router to connect during the initial setup. No other firmware version has ever had this issue for me, other than 61b2. Eventually it connected and I finished manually putting all my settings back (I only disable the usb 3.0 interference thing, make a few samba settings, enable time machine, and set 1 static ip). I then tried using CloudCheck to see if I had that same issue with my wireless camera as I did with b2 and it reported my internet speed at 2 (it should be 50). About a minute later, I lost all internet connectivity. I couldn't even get to the gui through wired or wireless and the asus android app wouldn't connect either. Power cycled the router and I could only get to the gui by ip with IE. Oddly Chrome (my default browser) absolutely refused to connect at all. I tried ipconfig release/flushdns/renew multiple times but didn't help. Reset the router through the gui in IE and then I was able to get to it by hostname. Chrome still wouldn't work and neither would samba. Restarted my computer and both Chrome and IE were able to connect by name but samba still didn't work. Restarted the router one more time and it all started working. It has been 5 days of uptime without issue, but it is still very odd that I had all these problems and it was exactly the same experience as 61b2 and nobody else seems to have reported this kind of thing.

Hi merlin,

There's a small bug in this release on my ac66u.
I've created a /jffs/configs/igmpproxy.conf file (root:root chmod 666)
But the /tmp/igmpproxy.conf is still the one generated by webconfig.

However the /jffs/configs/dnsmasq.conf.add which I've created (also root:root chmod 666) works great and it contents is added to /etc/dnsmasq.conf

So the bug only applies to /jffs/configs/igmpproxy.conf which should be copied to /tmp, but currently doesnt.

Everything else working great and stable.

Thanks for this great release.

Any reason a usb drive that worked fine on version 380.59 is not being recognized on version 380.61?

Hi,

on my ac66u, I can't change my pppoe wan options (dns, nat upnp,...) , only available at first time in wizard setup but not possible after this.

For two times... I have rebooted, flashed, rebooted, cleared nvram and configure from scratch, but problem continues.

Anyone else with this issue?

Thanks.

Hi,

on my ac66u, I can't change my pppoe wan options (dns, nat upnp,...) , only available at first time in wizard setup but not possible after this.

For two times... I have rebooted, flashed, rebooted, cleared nvram and configure from scratch, but problem continues.

Anyone else with this issue?

Thanks.

Did a factory reset?

Hi merlin,

There's a small bug in this release on my ac66u.
I've created a /jffs/configs/igmpproxy.conf file (root:root chmod 666)
But the /tmp/igmpproxy.conf is still the one generated by webconfig.

However the /jffs/configs/dnsmasq.conf.add which I've created (also root:root chmod 666) works great and it contents is added to /etc/dnsmasq.conf

So the bug only applies to /jffs/configs/igmpproxy.conf which should be copied to /tmp, but currently doesnt.

Everything else working great and stable.

Thanks for this great release.

Save you file as "igmpproxy" for now for your custom config file, I'll change it to match the documentation in the next release.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!