What's new

[384.14_Alpha - builds] Testing all variants.

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Will Merlin compile OpenVPN 2.4.8 released last week into the current stable build or would we have to wait on 384.14 alpha build to become stable before including latest OpenVPN build? Thanks!

Will Merlin compile OpenVPN 2.4.8 released last week into the current stable build or would we have to wait on 384.14 alpha build to become stable before including latest OpenVPN build? Thanks!
I answered your cross post a few seconds ago. Cross posting can confuse people, try to only post the question once, please.

Merlin updated to OpenVPN 2.4.8 (you can see it on git) . I use it ( compiled Merlin build myself ) . I guess it will be on the next build.

https://github.com/RMerl/asuswrt-merlin.ng/commit/e411bb0c5d625d32a50675b27b7e5fa5b84eeb67

Code:
Nov  1 15:11:02 ovpn-client1[5471]: OpenVPN 2.4.8 arm-buildroot-linux-gnueabi [SSL (OpenSSL)] [LZO] [LZ4] [EPOLL] [MH/PKTINFO] [AEAD] built on Oct 31 2019
Nov  1 15:11:02 ovpn-client1[5471]: library versions: OpenSSL 1.1.1d  10 Sep 2019, LZO 2.08

Merlin updated to OpenVPN 2.4.8 (you can see it on git) . I use it ( compiled Merlin build myself ) . I guess it will be on the next build.

https://github.com/RMerl/asuswrt-merlin.ng/commit/e411bb0c5d625d32a50675b27b7e5fa5b84eeb67

Code:
Nov  1 15:11:02 ovpn-client1[5471]: OpenVPN 2.4.8 arm-buildroot-linux-gnueabi [SSL (OpenSSL)] [LZO] [LZ4] [EPOLL] [MH/PKTINFO] [AEAD] built on Oct 31 2019
Nov  1 15:11:02 ovpn-client1[5471]: library versions: OpenSSL 1.1.1d  10 Sep 2019, LZO 2.08

Anyone can join github and follow along at this level, if they're that invested in what packages and versions of them a certain release is running, and I rather wish that they would to keep the signal up and noise down here on the forum.

I installed 384.14_A1 and 2 several times and cannot get the 86u to function correctly. Lots of bcm lines, ssl broken, and ntp issues with skynet to name a few. Anyone with a 86u, can you describe what problems you're experiencing? 384.13 is the most stable firmware so far.

Anyone with a 86u, can you describe what problems you're experiencing?
Yep ,
"Your dhcp does not function properly" everytime after a Factory Reset with .14A1-2, router must be reboot to get an ip ( tested several times )
and
NTP time does not sync after a factory reset( 5 hours behind ), must be reboot also to work correctly .( tested and re-re-re-tested )
And lots of "modprobe missing modules" messages in the log.
That's not to mention the "Event" messages more present than before. (log message level must be put on notice to stop them)

No issues if its a dirty flash from .13 without Factory reset

*WAN Connection Type: Automatic IP( isp cable)

Last edited:
And lots of "modprobe missing modules" messages in the log.

Those messages have been there for 6+ years now. Asuswrt tries to probe a bunch of modules without checking if these modules apply to the specific router model they run on. Most of these are related to low-end Ralink/Mediatek models.

"Your dhcp does not function properly" everytime after a Factory Reset with .14A1-2, router must be reboot to get an ip
I do not know if it's just me?. o_O
I tried with 81049 several times to be sure, and everything works well when I reset with this version when i Factory reset
Except that, everything works ok with .14a2

Importing any setting is not advised when having trouble. Try the flash then factory reset, then manual configure from there.
Guess what, that's what I did. Cleaned everything including nvram, like I wrote. In the alpha I couldn't make it work.
In the end I just stuck with .13 release, in the end it's an alpha.

Yesterday I decided to follow with a factory reset, flash, and manually configure everything using .14 alpha2. It was a disaster. So I'm back on .13 till .14 is released.

I haven’t had any issues since factory resetting alpha 2 and manually entering all of my settings. Granted... I just have a simple setup and run DoT.

It seems no one is trying to do FRD with AC86

I do. And I don't experience any "disaster" with my RT-AC86U. I'm currently streaming a podcast from my tablet connected to my freshly resetted RT-AC86U.

Make sure you properly reconfigure it afterward, especially wifi, since the US model seem to have gained DFS support now. So if you leave it on Auto Channel and you have clients that have troubles with DFS channels, it may cause issues. This is unrelated to the firmware itself.

I do. And I don't experience any "disaster" with my RT-AC86U
I cant say its a disaster on my side,this is only the first time I have this kind of message with this model after a FdR "Your dhcp does not function properly" .This is not a big problem, anyway I always reboot after fdr and reconfig :) .
Make sure you properly reconfigure it afterward, especially wifi,
it is done , there is no problem with the wifi, this version is very stable

I do. And I don't experience any "disaster" with my RT-AC86U. I'm currently streaming a podcast from my tablet connected to my freshly resetted RT-AC86U.

Make sure you properly reconfigure it afterward, especially wifi, since the US model seem to have gained DFS support now. So if you leave it on Auto Channel and you have clients that have troubles with DFS channels, it may cause issues. This is unrelated to the firmware itself.

I have bcm kernel lines both dirty flash and restore. I have ssh issues on restore. I have ntp issues using skynet dirty flash and restore. I have never seen a firmware like .14a1,2 cause so many issues on the 86u. I have gone from the 68u, 87u, 3200u and now the 86u no problems until the current firmware. The bcm lines apparently have to do with AIProtect. I could turn it off but prefer to use this package. My router is fine with AIProtect off. Please list your settings to make .14a2 work flawlessly... the dcd taint is also an issue from AIProtect.

I have bcm kernel lines

What "bcm kernel lines"?

I have ssh issues on restore.

What issues exactly? I spend a lot of time connected with SSH during development, as I have to work on locally mounted web pages or browse the system log, zero problem with SSH.

. I have ntp issues using skynet dirty flash and restore.

NTP issues would be caused by incorrectly configured DNS servers, or something in your configuration preventing the NTP servers from resolving at boot time. That portion of the code hasn't changed in 6+ months, so it's the same in 384.13 as 384.14 (and it's 100% identical on all router models).

Please list your settings to make .14a2 work flawlessly...

Nothing different from what I've been recommending for years now. Set a static channel, disable Smart Connect, and that's all I changed after today's factory default reset. I also enabled SSH and WAN access for development purposes, and reuploaded my httpd certificate. In my usual dev setup, I usually have Adaptive QoS enabled as well so I can properly test/debug that part of the code as well.

the dcd taint is also an issue from AIProtect.

That error message has zero impact on router stability or behaviour, and personally I haven't seen it since last spring on any of my development devices.

"Your dhcp does not function properly"

This error message indicates that your ISP didn't provide a DHCP lease when the router requested one. The DHCP client code hasn't changed in ages.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!