What's new

[ 386.11alpha Build(s) ] Testing available build(s)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.

octopus

Part of the Furniture
As usual, there is no technical support on alpha programs.

386.11 (xx-xxx-2023)
- UPDATED: curl to 8.0.1.
- UPDATED: openvpn to 2.6.2.
- CHANGED: Reduce max OpenVPN clients to 2 for RT-AC68U and DSL-AC68U due to lack of NVRAM on these two models.
Note that existing settings are not automatically removed, you must run the following command over SSH to remove them from nvram and the

/jffs/openvpn/ directory: clear_vpnclients.sh

A backup will be saved in /jffs/openvpn_backup.tgz.

- FIXED: DDNS was being refreshed every time IPv6 bound6() event
occured even if IPv6 DDNS update was disabled.
- FIXED: Wireless Log wouldn't properly show IPv6 address
for clients with multiple addresses.

https://onedrive.live.com/?authkey=!AJLLKAY--4EBqDo&id=CCE5625ED3599CE0!1427&cid=CCE5625ED3599CE0&sb=lastModifiedDateTime&sd=2

Last edited:
If I never touched the openvpn section on my 68u, I don’t need to run that clear command in ssh? And I’m ok with a dirty upgrade from 386.10 ?

Thanks!
I flashed dirty and ran the removal line. (same situation as you)

388.11 alpha.JPG

I’m with AIRVPN and there are talks with the main developer of the OpenVPN DCO kernel module to get it working there. I’m hoping that Merlin can do some magic with backporting the kernel for OpenVPN Data Channel Offload now the development has stopped on AC models and wireguard isn’t on the menu. Would be great.

A datapoint on the NVRAM values. This is only a partial listing of information with NVRAM values at specific points. There is a bit more NVRAM value information I can post at specific points during the extensive update process I used to go from 386.10 to 386.11_alpha1-gc011310d25 if people are interested. I have additional screen captures of the NVRAM values too and can post them if anyone wants them to verify what is posted below. Didn't post them to keep the post shorter.

Prior to doing a hard factory reset of a RT-AC68U on 386.10:
NVRAM usage 59365 / 65536 bytes

Post hard factory reset on 386.10:
NVRAM usage 57840 / 65536 bytes

Flashed the 386.11_alpha1-gc011310d25 and basic QIS setup:
NVRAM usage 57738 / 65536 bytes

Then did a hard factory reset 386.11_alpha1-gc011310d25 and base configuration for my normal usage as Wireless Router.
NVRAM usage 55769 / 65536 bytes

Per ChangeLog_NG file ran the following from SSH:
clear_vpnclients.sh
Code:
ASUSWRT-Merlin RT-AC68U 386.11_alpha1-gc011310d25 Tue Apr 18 19:10:47 UTC 2023
xyz@RT-AC68U-ABCD:/tmp/home/root# clear_vpnclients.sh
!!! Removing OpenVPN clients 3 through 5 from nvram and JFFS
--- Creating backup in /jffs/backup_openvpn.tgz ...
--- Clearing OpenVPN client 3
--- Clearing OpenVPN client 4
--- Clearing OpenVPN client 5
!!! Done!
xyz@RT-AC68U-ABCD:/tmp/home/root#
Post running clear_vpnclients.sh:
NVRAM usage 55769 / 65536 bytes

Rebooted router and configured for my use which includes installing YazDHCP, importing a previously saved YazDHCP file, and installing/configuring YazFi. After complete setup:
NVRAM usage 57195 / 65536 bytes

System log, so far, doesn't seem to show any abnormal issues or errors. So far everything is working under 386.11_alpha1-gc011310d25 as it was under 386.10 final.

As of this post NVRAM value is:
NVRAM.jpg

Last edited:
If I never touched the openvpn section on my 68u, I don’t need to run that clear command in ssh
You still do, to remove the unused variables.

. I’m hoping that Merlin can do some magic with backporting the kernel for OpenVPN Data Channel Offload
Not possible, requires kernel 5.2 or newer.

The NVRAM after 6 hours and 23 minutes.

6hour_NVRAM.jpg

RT-AC5300 Dirty upgrade from 386.10. Smooth process.
Initial impression: Snappier than 386.10.

Running it now for some time. Firmware is solid.
OpenVPN speed though is not optimal. I have seen better with previous firmware versions). (losing 10-12% compared to 386.9 and 386.10).

Has anyone used NordVPN with the alpha yet? I'm thinking that dimunition in already fairly languid VPN speed might not be what I need...
Did a dirty flash, and all seems in order except for this repeating log entry:
"Apr 23 16:35:17 kernel: out_fd is a pipe"
Just finished, so haven't checked download speeds, etc. This was the only glaring thing a quick scan revealed.

Last edited:
Has anyone used NordVPN with the alpha yet? I'm thinking that dimunition in already fairly languid VPN speed might not be what I need...
Did a dirty flash, and all seems in order except for this repeating log entry:
"Apr 23 16:35:17 kernel: out_fd is a pipe"
Just finished, so haven't checked download speeds, etc. This was the only glaring thing a quick scan revealed.
I encounter speed loss with ProtonVPN as well.

I noticed the nvram reported in GUI is different than when I check via CLI. Is that normal? GUI always report ~2KB higher.

I noticed the nvram reported in GUI is different than when I check via CLI. Is that normal? GUI always report ~2KB higher.
The webui accurately reports what's used in the flash partition, while the CLI tool may also include variables stored in JFFS.

Hi, when i upgraded the firmware and ran the clear_vpnclients.sh command via ssh, i get this: -sh: clear_vpnclients.sh: not found

does that mean the command was unsuccessful?

Hi, when i upgraded the firmware and ran the clear_vpnclients.sh command via ssh, i get this: -sh: clear_vpnclients.sh: not found

Yes indeed, your attempt was unsuccessful however IMO the instructions in the first post could have been made somewhat clearer. (Especially to people unfamiliar with Linux-type commands).
My guess is you failed to change into the correct directory before issuing the command

Try again using these steps)
#1) ssh admin@192.168.50.1
#2) cd /jffs/openvpn/
#3) clear_vpnclients.sh

Note: A backup will be saved in /jffs/openvpn_backup.tgz.

It means it couldn't find the command. Double check that you are really running this test build, and you have an RT-AC68U/RT-AC66U_B1.

My guess is you failed to change into the correct directory before issuing the command
That isn't required.

It means it couldn't find the command. Double check that you are really running this test build, and you have an RT-AC68U/RT-AC66U_B1.

That isn't required.
Indeed 1st verify the upgrade worked. But If it's a recently added command...
Might they also need to:
-Reboot after a successful flash for the command to execute successfully?

OK, sorry. I have a 86U. Didn't know the ssh thing was for 66U and 68U only.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!