What's new

[ 386.12 alpha Build(s) ] Testing available build(s)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I haven't seen any particular value yet to the 3006 FW. The only advantage I've found with the 3006 FW is the ability to set up an isolated guest network on an AP without having to use a script. However, ASUS took a significant step backward in OVPN functionality with the 3006 FW. I can't think of anything else that's different between 3004.386 and 3006.

But AX and 2.5 gbps networking is a nice feature of the newer routers.
I am with you on your statement here. If anything, it is the changing hardware that is leading Asus to slowly EOL each AC model. They are trying to remain competitive without having the complexity of maintaining existing code base for older AC models. The older that technology gets, the more backports and extra work ASUS will have to devote to AC models such that they stay compatible or comparable to their newer AX models.

Step backward how/in what ways?

There is zero configurability in the 3006 OVPN client interface. Its necessary to rely entirely on using custom configuration parameters in the OVPN client config file. And the worst part is that ASUS appears to have removed the ability to control whether clients use the OVPN tunnel for internet and/or LAN on the other side of the tunnel. All this will be fixed if Merlin supports 3006.

As an old man who can't remember, Is this an included/default icon?
Screenshot 2023-08-27 at 09-22-27 ASUS Wireless Router RT-AC86U - Network Map.png

This is not an included/default icon for the GT-AX6000:
View attachment 52703
I posted a screen shot from my AC86U with RMerlin alpha FW.
Reference was to icons not working in this FW, which they seem to be functional.
Both RMerlin FWs working flawlessly in my environment!

Last edited:
As an old man who can't remember, Is this an included/default icon?
View attachment 52696
That's the same default Synology icon I see on a RT-AC68U running the 386.11 firmware. I've never used "custom icons" on that device. It is the same default Synology icon that I see on a RT-AX86U Pro running 3004.388.4 firmware. The apparent issue is with custom icons. There are several posts one page back (post #67 and #72) where users indicate custom icons are not working (or something to that effect). Your previous post indicated "verified custom icons working."

Edit to add: Searching the current topic, there are additional posts referencing "custom icons" are not working or similar.
Post #35
Post #19
Post #52
Post #33

Last edited:
alpha1 still running fine on my AC86U main/AP combo, although still seeing the frequent ASD service crash on the AP (but not on the main router).

386.12a1 is working fine on my limited setup (AI Protection, Diversion and Skynet on the internet facing router, all others are APs) . The only thing showing up are the AI Protect DCD tainted messages on the "router" and the various devices coming and going on WiFi on the AP's. Up 2 days and a few hours.

Beta build is out, we can close this thread.

@RMerlin

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!