What's new

[ 388.2 alpha Build(s) ] Testing available build(s)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh, really? Didn't know that and yes, did a factory reset with 388. Thank you for clarifying!

Turned it on and there are the values again :)

Does this mean that running your firmware on the nodes will be preferred until Asus stock catches up, or is it only relevant on the main router?
The issue was mostly with the main router, not the nodes.

What you run on the nodes is of little importance. Running stock firmware means you can more easily keep these up to date, but you may also end up having more out-of-sync versions based on Asus's and my own release schedule, or be missing in some of the features that may still be useful to you, such as running custom scripts. Up to you.
Since Asus' nomenclature is moving up from 3.0.0.4.xxx to 3.0.0.6.xxx, maybe you can consider just adapting one number prior for your future releases. Can move from 388.2_xx to 6.110_xxx when they migrate to that scheme later. The "6" in front can help identify it to be a later release than the 388.2_xx and previous ones. Even if they keep going to 3.0.0.7.xxx, you are okay as well. If they rehash it to something completely new in the future, no need to worry about it again until then.
That would only work until they decide to jump to 4.0.0.x, which may very well happen at some point. I am actually a bit surprised that the next release will be using 3.0.0.6 rather than 3.1.0.0 or even 4.0.0.0, based on some of the coming changes that I know.

That would only work until they decide to jump to 4.0.0.x, which may very well happen at some point. I am actually a bit surprised that the next release will be using 3.0.0.6 rather than 3.1.0.0 or even 4.0.0.0, based on some of the coming changes that I know.
Any details you can share with the community? :) Is it a proper big upgrade ie completely revamped router UI? Or is it some amazing new features we didn't know we needed until they released them?

Any details you can share with the community? :) Is it a proper big upgrade ie completely revamped router UI? Or is it some amazing new features we didn't know we needed until they released them?
It was just math example not new coming release. o_O

Last edited:
Installed 388.2 Alpha 2 on my GT-AX6000, up from Merlin 388.1.

It never ceases to amaze me how one man's Alpha 2 build is better than most corporate firmware's final release firmware.

<rant>
In the real world, I work with controllers that use embedded Linux. These controllers (which have been out for 5 years) have yet to have a version of firmware that actually works. I have broken expensive equipment because the controllers would lock up their inputs or outputs, randomly reboot Linux whilst leaving the inputs and outputs in an unstable state, drop network connectivity, or something else that caused a bona fide emergency. This has happened dozens of times.

I have participated in Beta projects in which we test Beta firmware for the manufacturer, and I can tell you their Beta firmware builds are absolutely laughable. Look, I'm not a computer scientist. I have no idea what Linux is, really. I have no idea how to code, what it takes to write firmware, test firmware or deal with the overwhelming security concerns that plague the internet. I know it's not easy to produce a working product.
</rant>

If one man's Alpha builds are more stable and have fewer problems than an entire corporation's final firmware, well, I'm just saying that speaks to how special Merlin is and how lucky we all are to have him in our corner of the ring.

Donation Sent.

Edit: More praise. Less rant.

Last edited:
First of all, thank you @RMerlin for your excellent work, I just got my hands on the AX86U Pro and I was wondering if I should wait for the alpha 2 (I couldn't find it in OneDrive) to configure everything, or if the alpha 1 is perfectly fine? I am guesing there is some blocking point that is delaying the firmware build for the AX86U Pro, I tried searching in this thread but I couldn't find the reason. Thank you!

Last edited:
Four days after updating from 388.1 to 388.2 alpha2, web history updates and AiProtection counts stopped.
This is not a problem with Asuswrt-Merlin, as it also occurred with the official 388 firmware.
Unfortunately, it does not seem to be fixed in 22525 either.

* The phenomenon of AiProtection being counted but not sending alert emails occurred for the first time in 388.2.

First of all, thank you @RMerlin for your excellent work, I just got my hands on the AX86U Pro and I was wondering if I should wait for the alpha 2 (I couldn't find it in OneDrive) to configure everything, or if the alpha 1 is perfectly fine? I am guesing there is some blocking point that is delaying the firmware build for the AX86U Pro, I tried searching in this thread but I couldn't find the reason. Thank you!
you can just install alpha 1 for now and then upgrade to alpha 2 once its there

Is LACP (link aggregation 802.3ad) actually working for you? When I used it on 388.2 alpha 2 on my GT-AX11000 it wasn’t actually working beyond one Ethernet functioning in a non LACP bonded state. Might be a device specific issue not sure, but LACP works fine on 388.1.
Yes LACP is working.
SWITCH:
HP A5120-48G SI (LINK)

Bridge is 2Gbit/s as shown here:
1679222450681.png

1679222045867.png

1679222170092.png

1679221910841.png

RT-AX86U:
1679221902527.png

Last edited:
You are the only one in position to ask Asus upstream what changes in your firmware may cause AiMesh issues. The fact someone recognized the issue now and is working on a fix is much better than "works for me" and "outside of my control". Let's forget the heated conversations and move forward. Don't take issues reports as complaints. At the end of the day the entire community benefits from the better firmware. Looking forward to 388.2 release.

Very well said 👏

I am still having issues with 36/160 even in new firmware.
It switches to 36/80 on 5GHz, and device connects as 1200Mbit/s instead of 2400Mbit/s:
1679224041376.png

In wireless settings, 160MHz is selected at 160MHz only, not as AUTO or 20/40/80/160 selection

If I use old build RT-AX86U_386.5_2 it always stays at 36/160 and all devices that are capable always connect at 2400Mbit/s.
Anyone else has problems with 160MHz ?

We just have to wait until asus sort it out. I gave up on it, sometimes it stays at 160 for me othertimes it drops to 80. I just let it go, 388.2 is working great otherwise. I think there is some major changes coming this year and hope that wifi stability is sorted on all fronts. It seems pretty stable since latest stock fw so it's heading in the right direction.

Reactions: Spc
We just have to wait until asus sort it out. I gave up on it, sometimes it stays at 160 for me othertimes it drops to 80. I just let it go, 388.2 is working great otherwise. I think there is some major changes coming this year and hope that wifi stability is sorted on all fronts. It seems pretty stable since latest stock fw so it's heading in the right direction.
It is very interesting, because on RT-AX82U i have been running a fork: 388.1_0-gnuton1
82 is always staying on 160MHz, even on 388.1

Issue is only with 86

I am still having issues with 36/160 even in new firmware.
It switches to 36/80 on 5GHz, and device connects as 1200Mbit/s instead of 2400Mbit/s:
View attachment 48686
In wireless settings, 160MHz is selected at 160MHz only, not as AUTO or 20/40/80/160 selection

If I use old build RT-AX86U_386.5_2 it always stays at 36/160 and all devices that are capable always connect at 2400Mbit/s.
Anyone else has problems with 160MHz ?

Had same issues.
Current Setup fixt it at least for me to get the 2400/2400 (CH1 and CH100):
1.png

We just have to wait until asus sort it out. I gave up on it, sometimes it stays at 160 for me othertimes it drops to 80.
What makes you think it's not working as indended, dropping channel width when it detects interference?

160 MHz requires a lot of bandwidth - more than is available without DFS channel. That means you are guaranteed to overlap with every neighbour also using 5 GHz, on top of interfering with any local radar. If the router drops from 160 to 80 MHz, then it muyst be doing so because something happened prompting it to do so.

What makes you think it's not working as indended, dropping channel width when it detects interference?

160 MHz requires a lot of bandwidth - more than is available without DFS channel. That means you are guaranteed to overlap with every neighbour also using 5 GHz, on top of interfering with any local radar. If the router drops from 160 to 80 MHz, then it muyst be doing so because something happened prompting it to do so.
Well where i live, all the neighbors use 2.4GHz only , no one is on 5GHz.
I am the only one on 5GHz band, although i have 5 routers on the same freqnency.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!