What's new

[ 388.2 alpha Build(s) ] Testing available build(s)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dirty flash. Is this something new in dnsmasq start up log?

*can’t seem to attach code

Attachments

• 03020EB9-B582-47F1-81DD-3C12E544E679.jpeg
    03020EB9-B582-47F1-81DD-3C12E544E679.jpeg
    146 KB · Views: 156
Successfully up 4 days now on 388.2.alpha1 after dirty upgrade from 388.1 of my RT-AX3000 (RT-AX58U firmware) with relatively simple network setup and some customization.

Doing great here on the GT-AX6000 as well, up almost 4 days now. No reset needed after flash from 388.1, no problems *smile*. Internet speed and infrastructure reliability are perfect so far.

Dirty upgrade on AX86U from 388.1 because it was almost not possible to work with that latest release.
Only few minutes after upgrade - cannot report something more but
Jan 12 14:36:18 wsdd2[11216]: Terminated received.
Jan 12 14:36:18 smbd[12173]: [2023/01/12 14:36:18.395329, 0] lib/pidfile.c:146(pidfile_create)
Jan 12 14:36:18 smbd[12173]: ERROR: smbd is already running. File /var/run/samba/smbd.pid exists and process id 11210 is running.
1. What is that wsdd2 flood in logs? The message appears again and again with different pid in [].
2. Smbd seems working however some error was displayed at start.

Also these ones seem strange but not critical:
Jan 12 16:37:11 networkmap: Error locking /var/lock//usr/networkmap/nmp_conv_type.js.lock: 2 No such file or directory
Jan 12 16:37:11 networkmap: Error unlocking -1: 9 Bad file descriptor
Jan 12 16:37:11 networkmap: Error locking /var/lock//usr/networkmap/nmp_vendor_type.js.lock: 2 No such file or directory
Jan 12 16:37:11 networkmap: Error locking /var/lock//usr/networkmap/nmp_bwdpi_type.js.lock: 2 No such file or directory
Jan 12 16:37:14 dnsmasq-script[18826]: json_object_from_file: error opening file /jffs/nmp_vc_json.js: No such file or directory
Unfortunately my issue with random network drops is not solved: I still cannot copy 10-20 Gb files from shared HDD on any client (just an example to reproduce, same on Internet dl/ul so it is true for any connection) without connection drops. And logs are still clear on that.

Last edited:
How much time does it really take to nuke the unit on upgrade vs. fighting brushfires for hours and/or days? Seriously.
It all depends on your configuration and network architecture. In the end, it's a personal choice.

How much time does it really take to nuke the unit on upgrade vs. fighting brushfires for hours and/or days? Seriously.
Unfortunately the router does not allow to export all configuration in some form of text file and/or separating different parts of settings in different files (like ani *nix system does).
It means to restore my configuration I have to manually screenshot all pages and restore them one by one.
It is not impossible, but time consuming and may lead to errors.

And I am not mentioning all entware and custom scripts settings.

That's why I am trying to find a problem and fix it without factory reset and manual restore.

And taking into account the issue appears from a few last updates - and I am not talking about scripts/entware updates but firmware...

Does it never happen that an update changes behaviour (either breaking something, or finally fixing what'd never worked right), thus even the referencing of screenshots being the cause of "problem introduction"?

I'm only a little more than half a year into acquaintance with Asus routers, so I have to ask this.

Does it never happen that an update changes behaviour (either breaking something, or finally fixing what'd never worked right), thus even the referencing of screenshots being the cause of "problem introduction"?

I'm only a little more than half a year into acquaintance with Asus routers, so I have to ask this.
I don't get your question :)
Firmware can both break and fix. It's normal situation.
Yes, one can factory reset and then restore all settings from backup - but it makes factory reset meaningless as all possible problems will restore also.
Moreover some settings are not backed up in a file - so you should enter them manually.
So when making factory reset the best scenario is manually restore settings one by one checking what actually caused the problem. Yes sometimes you are lucky and everything will mysteriously start working, but in most cases - you are out of luck )))

Half a year is quite a short time of acquaintance - so welcome to our Brave New World )))

I dirty flashed 388.2 alpha over 388.1 official release. I have Astrill VPN installed and some ip route add ips and some port forwarded in /jffs/scripts/ nat-start. I notice when I would disconnect from a wireguard client, my AX86U would say 100% complete, then it would hang, then router would do a restart, but upon rebooting, it would be disconnected from the WG client (which I wanted in the first place). Sometimes I am able to connect to a VPN and minutes later disconnect without any issues, also vice versa I would connect to a WG client it would say 100%, then router would pause and then reboot, then upon rebooting I would be connected, at this point I didnt know if it was taking long to change settings or if this was a feature lol, but checking system info, it shows the router just rebooted.

I did the hard reset, WPS button method, holding down while turning on power. 388.2 alpha was still on there, all wifi settings reset even jffs cleared, I added one WG client to test, and same thing it would sometimes reboot when connecting or disconnecting from the WG client. Also did notice GUI was a bit slow at times, only on a fresh reboot.

I am new to Asus routers, so I flashed back to 388.1 release, and all was working again no problems.

I did the hard reset, WPS button method, holding down while turning on power. 388.2 alpha was still on there,

Doing a hard reset does NOT change the installed firmware.

I dirty flashed 388.2 alpha over 388.1 official release. I have Astrill VPN installed and some ip route add ips and some port forwarded in /jffs/scripts/ nat-start. I notice when I would disconnect from a wireguard client, my AX86U would say 100% complete, then it would hang, then router would do a restart, but upon rebooting, it would be disconnected from the WG client (which I wanted in the first place). Sometimes I am able to connect to a VPN and minutes later disconnect without any issues, also vice versa I would connect to a WG client it would say 100%, then router would pause and then reboot, then upon rebooting I would be connected, at this point I didnt know if it was taking long to change settings or if this was a feature lol, but checking system info, it shows the router just rebooted.

I did the hard reset, WPS button method, holding down while turning on power. 388.2 alpha was still on there, all wifi settings reset even jffs cleared, I added one WG client to test, and same thing it would sometimes reboot when connecting or disconnecting from the WG client. Also did notice GUI was a bit slow at times, only on a fresh reboot.

I am new to Asus routers, so I flashed back to 388.1 release, and all was working again no problems.
I have experienced the exact same AX86U router rebooting issue when starting or stopping a WG client with 388.2. Flashed back to 388.1 and problem does not occur.

Last edited:
1673660388337.png

6 days, no issues whatsoever - AX56U
Thank you

Firmware is stable on RT-AX86u, but router did reboot when disabling Wireguard. I also am getting an error code 73 when trying to access Disney Plus when using WireGuard VPN that I do not get when using OpenVPN.

Doing a hard reset does NOT change the installed firmware.
Yes, I just realized that when doing the hard reset, will google how to do a clean install of the new firmware.

I have experienced the exact same AX86U router rebooting issue when starting or stopping a WG client with 388.2. Flashed back to 388.1 and problem does not occur.
Yes, glad I'm not the only one experiencing this, I was thinking it could be my router memory itself.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!