What's new

5Ghz not working

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Mkstretch

New Around Here
The 5Ghz band doesn't to show up at all on any of my devices. My devices definitely support the 5Ghz band. This is my second AC66U router and on my last one it was showing up. Is there something I'm missing. I have the router on top of my PC in my office. Will upgrading to Merlin firmware help? Thanks

What firmware version do you have now and what version are you upgrading to on Merlins ?
I have had Asus f/w .354 and am now on Merlins .28. 1 Beta and have had no problems regarding the 5 GHz not showing up but the issue with dropping signal strength on the 5 GHz band is still an issiue for me.

The 5Ghz band doesn't to show up at all on any of my devices. My devices definitely support the 5Ghz band. This is my second AC66U router and on my last one it was showing up. Is there something I'm missing. I have the router on top of my PC in my office. Will upgrading to Merlin firmware help? Thanks

Hey mike,
I am running the latest stable firmware from asus which is the .270. I also notice that my 2.4ghz band sometimes drops down one bar.

As you are running the .270 firmware and have problems , try Merlins firmware
to see if the problem is solved . If it is not solved it lokks like a RMA....

Hey mike,
I am running the latest stable firmware from asus which is the .270. I also notice that my 2.4ghz band sometimes drops down one bar.

Lots of issues with 5ghz and workaround

I also have a lot of issues with my ASUS RT AC66u router.

The 5ghz frequency is not visible / seen by clients or the 5ghz network disappears after some time. The 5ghz is active according to the router setup page and the LED on the router, The only way for me to connect / see the 5ghz network again is by booting the router in recovery mode and then restarting it and boot normally again. I've posted a complaint to ASUS and i urge everyone experiencing this problem to do so too, so that they can fix the firmware.

Detailed problem solving instructiions:

- turn of the router with the power button.
- keep the reset button pressed and turn on the router with the power button.
- as soon as the power led start blinking (very slowly ca. once every few seconds), you can release the reset button, but give the router some time to fully boot in recovery mode.
- once the router is fully booted in recovery mode just power it off by pressing the power button again.
- once turned of just turn it on again by pressing the power button.

After this procedure i can once more see (and connect to) the 5ghz signal again. This procedure has to be repeated every time the 5ghz network is invisible.

Please tell me if this procedure works for you to, so we can collect information on this issue and have it fixed by ASUS.

Keywords:
RT AC66u,
can't connect to 5ghz,
no 5ghz signal,
5ghz issues
5g not visible
5g hidden
ASUS USB AC53
5ghz network not seen

Last edited:

Please, don't repost the exact same messages in multiple threads. It is totally unnecessary, and makes it impossible to have any conversations possible as all replies would only get scattered over three different threads.

The problem with the 5 Ghz band seems to be at least two :
this that is mentioned and the problem with the signal strength that suddenly
drops. I have Asus USB-N53:s and have had no problems with what is discribed below. Asus already knows about the signal strength drops and a new Broadcom driver is somewhere in the future to be released.
Drop Jeremy at Asus who is a member on this forum a post about this issue.

[Qo UOTE=egarretsen;71564]I also have a lot of issues with my ASUS RT AC66u router.

The 5ghz frequency is not visible / seen by clients or the 5ghz network disappears after some time. The 5ghz is active according to the router setup page and the LED on the router, The only way for me to connect / see the 5ghz network again is by booting the router in recovery mode and then restarting it and boot normally again. I've posted a complaint to ASUS and i urge everyone experiencing this problem to do so too, so that they can fix the firmware.

- as soon as the power led start blinking (very slowly ca. once every few seconds), you can release the reset button, but give the router some time to fully boot in recovery mode.
- once the router is fully booted in recovery mode just power it off by pressing the power button again.

After this procedure i can once more see (and connect to) the 5ghz signal again. This procedure has to be repeated every time the 5ghz network is invisible.

Please tell me if this procedure works for you to, so we can collect information on this issue and have it fixed by ASUS.

Keywords:
RT AC66u,
can't connect to 5ghz,
no 5ghz signal,
5ghz issues
5g not visible
5g hidden
ASUS USB AC53
5ghz network not seen[/QUOTE]

compleatly unacceptible !

I had some issues with my 10 year old router so I figured that I will buy the best thing I can so it can work for another 10 years....

But sadly I find that the 5Ghz is unusable !

The 2.4Ghz is overcrowded in my location but the 5Ghz is unused.

When I am in the next room through a thin, Canadian hollow wall, My signal is ok, using a thinkpad W520 with intel 6300 nic, I get sync rate 360 Mbps but acual tranfer is max 5MB/s.

One floor up it's low and 2 floors up it's unusable max syc speed 60Mpbs actual transfer rate is 15% of that...

On top of that the connection is not stable with a MacBook Pro , comes and goes.

And using my phone Samsung Galaxy S2 5Ghz only works if in the same room!

I have tried setting the power to 80Mw, 100, 120, and 160, with only marginally better results.

I also tried to set the channel width to 20, 40 and Auto (20/40/80) with no diffirence, also tried Auto channel, manual channels, etc

the router is on FW: 270

Looks like this router is hedding back to the store and I am going to have to wait once the FW and hardware is release quality, hopefully by fall the AC specification will be finalized.

I am just surprised that so one sues companies for releasing half baked products as all the advertisements and claims are falsified regarding the capabilities of this router!

Not to mention that when I enable https for the webinterface several screens crash!

Just annoyed, sorry for the rant....

PS: products like this should be marked as Beta and discounted!
While efforts of people like Merlin should be rewarded by the likes of ASUS as they making a LOT of money off people like Merlin!

Thanks Merlin!

Last edited:
and the problem with the signal strength that suddenly
drops. I have Asus USB-N53:s and have had no problems with what is discribed below. Asus already knows about the signal strength drops and a new Broadcom driver is somewhere in the future to be released.
Drop Jeremy at Asus who is a member on this forum a post about this issue.

Are you sure Asus is aware of this issue? I've been in contact with a "Jeremy T." from Asus, and he claims not to be able to reproduce this issue. As such, I'm not sure Asus is even acknowledging that an issue exists.

Hi
I have absolutely the same issue with 5G. Device doesn't see the 5G even the led is blue o Asus.
I have try your instruction it helps me to see and connect to 5G one time after that. But then it disappeared again.
Have you find the solution to solve it?
Waiting for your reply.
Regards,
Yuriy

Keywords:
RT AC66u,
can't connect to 5ghz,
no 5ghz signal,
5ghz issues
5g not visible
5g hidden
ASUS USB AC53
5ghz network not seen
Worked for me, thanks... was just looking into an RMA when I found this thread.

Here's hoping they get a fix on this one.

Sory for the late answer ; Yes , Jeremy was aware of this problem - I have had mail conversation with him about the issue. I do not know how Asus tests the functionality but this is between 2 of their own products.
Still waiting for the new Broadcom-driver which was eventually going to solve the problem.

Are you sure Asus is aware of this issue? I've been in contact with a "Jeremy T." from Asus, and he claims not to be able to reproduce this issue. As such, I'm not sure Asus is even acknowledging that an issue exists.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!